Upgrade to php5 - Allowed memory exhausted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to php5 - Allowed memory exhausted

My host recently upgraded my server to FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p1 (from FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE) with php5.2.3 (from php4.3.. Since then I've been getting an error with search.php:

Code:
    [B]Fatal error[/B]:  Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted
    (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in
    [B]/usr/www/users/myid/CriticalGraphics/search/cg/search.php[/B] on line [B]977[/B]
    I have made some mods to search.php, but this error appears even when they're disabled.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

p.
    Last edited by Hex Angel; Sep-23-2007, 02:17 AM.
    :: ::

See this FAQ for a solution

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. But I think the FAQ does not apply to this issue.As can be seen in the error message, the php installation already allows 32MB of RAM.

Also, I dumped the value for $pagesCount, which is 36,249. Does zoom really require 1MB+ of RAM/page in the index?

p.

Comment

That's unlikely, but possible. It depends on the number of unique words indexed per file. If we're talking about very big documents (eg. PDF files with over 100 pages of text each), then sure. But I presume this isn't the case for your website.

I suspect the problem is somewhere else. For example, perhaps you're mixing index files from different sessions, causing the search script to behave unpredictably. Or perhaps there's a bug. Either way, we can only confirm this if we can see the search files ourselves. Can you zip them up (all zdat files, including the search.php file you are using), and e-mail them to us?

If you have modified the search script in any way, do let us know in advance as well (and we would recommend re-checking the behaviour using the default script, in case your changes affected the behaviour of the script). You should also make sure you are using the latest build before sending us the files to look at.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray,

Triple checked that the original search.php is in place and continuing to get the error.

I've downloaded the latest zoom and will reindex with it, then see if the error persists.

Thanks,

p.

Comment

Does zoom really require 1MB+ of RAM/page in the index
            No. It is a non linear relationship. Page 1 uses a lot. Page 10,000 uses almost nothing.

I think the FAQ does not apply
            Yes it does apply. Just change 32MB to 64MB or 128MB.

Comment

Working...
            X