Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• image association to URLs containing Windows illegal characters

Hello

I would like to associate relevant individual images to my url results.
    As my site is database driven, every page has the same Head data and therefore I cannot use the ZOOMIMAGE tag as the image path would be the same for every page.

I am therefore trying to associate by naming each image file I want to display to match the URL name as suggested.

However, my page URLs contain a “?”

e.g. https://www.domain.co.uk/index.asp?f...AYCAT&catid=17

Windows filenames obviously cannot contain this illegal character to enable my image to be called:

index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=17.jpg

Are there ways around this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by daveyboy View Post
    As my site is database driven, every page has the same Head data and therefore I cannot use the ZOOMIMAGE tag as the image path would be the same for every page.
    This should not be a limitation of your site being database driven. On the contrary, it should be very possible (and desirable) to have different <head> data for a database driven website, as you should want a different <title> and meta description tag for each page. This would obviously, not only benefit your internal search results, but also your presence on Internet-wide search engines such as Google.

Your PHP or ASP (or CFM, etc.) scripts should be capable of producing dynamic head data based on your database information. I would suggest looking into this, and along with dynamic title and meta description tags, you should then be able to generate dynamic ZOOMIMAGE tags as necessary.

Originally posted by daveyboy View Post
    I am therefore trying to associate by naming each image file I want to display to match the URL name as suggested.

However, my page URLs contain a “?”

e.g. www.domain.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=17

Windows filenames obviously cannot contain this illegal character to enable my image to be called:

index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=17.jpg

Are there ways around this?
    This will not be possible, and it is not a matter of getting around the fact that you cannot use a question mark in a filename. The issue is that when Zoom looks at getting a thumbnail for the file, it will (correctly) recognize that the file in the URL above is "index.asp". The use of the thumbnail settings for prepending/appending text to the filename will apply to this part of the URL only (eg. "index_thumb.asp", or "th_index.asp"). The parameters that follow the question mark do not apply.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X