• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about upgrading and ...

Hello,

I want to buy your Zoom Search Engine V5. But I have questions:

a) If I buy a "Standard Edition", how can I upgrade to the "Professional
    Edition" sometimes in the future? Complete reinstall? Or simply change registration-key?

b) The Zoom Search Engine can be used to spider from the local pc and upload the index-files to the internet. But is it possible to completely transfer the spidering job and index-actualization to the web (cron-job with PHP)? Do I need a special version for this?

c) Is it possible, to use Zoom as search engine for completely DIFFERENT SITES? In a way, the surfers doesn't recorgnize this?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Frank
    Last edited by SearchFranky; Jul-03-2007, 04:04 PM.

a) You just enter in a new license key. There is no re-install

b) There are 2 parts to the software. The indexer and the seach scripts. The indexer part of the software is Windows only. So if you have a Windows server you can schedule the indexing to run on on the server. While we have a PHP version of the search script (that runs on Linux) we don't have a PHP version of the indexer.

In any case having a PHP based indexer would not work well for large sites the indexer need to run for extended periods and uses a fair amount of RAM. PHP is not suited to this type of application.

c) You can index pretty much any web site (or sites) with Zoom. You can also host the search function on pretty much any host. A smart user will probably notice you are hosting the search function on a different site however. It depends on how you do it, e.g. links to another sites, frames, server site scripting calling another script in the background. etc..

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      a) You just enter in a new license key. There is no re-install
      THX!

Another license-question: Can I install multiple copies of Zoom? For example @work and on my home-pc to index one and the same Website(s), depending where I have the time to start the index-prozess? Or is only ONE pc-installation allowed?

If multiple pc-copies are allowed: What I have to copy from the Zoom software to have the same configuration on both pc?

Comment

You will need a license per installation of the Indexer. So if you wish to have the Indexer installed on both your Home PC and your work PC, you will need 2 licenses.

Please see the following FAQ for more details:
        Q. What are the licensing policies for Zoom?
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          You will need a license per installation of the Indexer. So if you wish to have the Indexer installed on both your Home PC and your work PC, you will need 2 licenses.
          Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X