Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email addresses in search results

Hello,

Is there a way to configure Zoom so that it includes email addresses in search results?

I have some scam related articles on my website that include email addresses used by scammers in the text. People often search on email addresses in scam/hoax emails when they are trying to find more information.

At the moment, Zoom apparently ignores the email addresses in these articles.

Any thoughts?

Zoom does not currently index e-mail addresses as a single word. This means that it splits up a word such "bob@mysite.com" to be "bob" and "mysite.com". This is because the "@" character is not available as a word join option (see the "Indexing Options" tab on the Configuration window).

You're the first user we've had ask us about searching for e-mail addresses however. It is usually pretty rare (ie. you would have to know the e-mail address in order to search for it), and our wildcard functionality could allow people an easy way to harvest spam addresses (a search for "*@mysite.com" would return all e-mail addresses on your site). Nonetheless, allowing "@" to be a word join character is an option we can consider adding if there is enough user demand for it.

In the meantime, you could offer some tips to your users, to search with wildcards, or just the account name of the e-mail address, or just the domain (eg. searching for "spamdomain.com" or "spamaccount*", etc.)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hello Ray,

Thanks for you reply. I'll consider offering tips as suggested. This is not a major issue and I'm very happy with Zoom overall.

That said, you might be surprised at how many visitors I receive via Google, Yahoo and MSN that are based on email address searches. I'm sure that other websites that cover the same kinds of topics as mine experience similar results. After all, the major search engines do allow searches on email addresses.

So, I think adding "@" as a join character would be a worthwhile option.

Cheers
      Brett

Comment

Working...
      X