searchs logs setup problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searchs logs setup problem

Hi I am building an online search engine and am trying to set up the search logs
    I fallowed the directions in the help the set up fine and started working then after the next indexing the logs stop longing searches when I try to eney of the
    search statistics like day report and enter the url of the logs I get this is not the right file it seems to be from some other version like the 3.0 this is the zoom 5.1 just downloaded and installed this week and activated as well I am using
    Apache 2.2.4 as my server on windows xp I have gone threw the logs setup
    2 or 3 time same thing happens each time please for some help on fixing
    this as I would like to us the online chats for my search engine to be displayed publicly
    Last edited by Bruce; Jun-28-2007, 04:50 AM. Reason: fix error

Are you sure the logging was working originally? How did you confirm this? Did you check the log file and see the entries in the file itself by opening the file in Notepad or a similar text editor?

Is the log file accessible via the URL you entered for the search statistics report tool? That is, if you try to enter the same URL into the web browser, will your web browser open the log file (or allow you to download it)? If not, then there is likely either a permission issue or you are specifying the wrong URL to the log file.

If your website is online, you could give us the URL to the search page (and the log files) and we can take a look and see if we spot anything obvious from here.

P.S. Using punctuation would help make your post alot more readable, and make it easier for us to help you. I had to read your post several times to make sense of it.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

By my ip and my last search showing up in the logs. I used note pad to open searchword.logs. My server and desk top are on the some computer. I set up the logs in htdocs in the same directory as the zoom search pages. For my internet search engine so I can use the charts on the internet.Then I started the indexing and after that it stop logging searches. I tried to reset and start from the start the setup but it would not start a new file so I restored the first one

http://kingshomeworld.com/searchworld/

http://kingshomeworld.com/searchworl...earchwords.log

No if I us the zoom statistics with the url it gives the message that the file is from early version
      like 3.0
      sorry my typing skills and spelling are not the best but I will try!!!
      Last edited by Bruce; Jun-28-2007, 07:20 AM. Reason: chaing info

Comment

There is something clearly very wrong with your web server setup. The URL you gave us to the log file is not returning the file itself, instead, the web server is always returning a directory listing. As I mentioned before, you should try this yourself, by entering the URL in your browser or clicking the following link:
        http://kingshomeworld.com/searchworl...earchwords.log

Clicking on the "searchwords.log" link in the directory listing, will return the directory listing yet again. Your web server is simply not configured to return this file correctly over the web.

You can either try to fix this on your web server setup OR, seeing as you are running the Indexer on the server itself, you can simply specify the local file path to the log file in the "Search Statistics Report" tool, as opposed to the URL. That is, when prompted for the location of the log file in the Statistics window, click on the "..." button and locate the file on your computer (something like "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\searchworld\searchwords.lo g"). Zoom will then be able to get to the file directly without trying to access it via HTTP.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Dont no if this will help but this is in my server error logs

PHP Warning: fopen(/searchworld/logs/searchwords.log) [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\\server\\htdocs\\searchworld\\index.php on line 2094, referer: http://kingshomeworld.com/searchworl...=0&zoom_sort=0
          the (index.php )that would be the same file as search.php I changed it so It would be the start page

I will try the hard drive path and see what happens
          using C:\server\htdocs\searchworld\logs\searchwords.log

got this from the zoom when using search statistics tool

the selected file appears to be the wrong or and old log file created before zoom 3.0 error on line1
          expected date token but found none or encountered invalid data

when I click the link I get

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
          <html>
          <head>
          <title>Index of /searchworld/logs</title>
          </head>
          <body>
          <h1>Index of /searchworld/logs</h1>
          <ul><li><a href="/searchworld/"> Parent Directory</a></li>
          <li><a href="searchwords.log"> searchwords.log</a></li>
          </ul>
          </body></html>
          is that what you get
          did you get the search page with the other link it should be Search World page

the zoom and indexing is installed in the desk top and I do the indexing from the zoom panel
          Last edited by Bruce; Jun-28-2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

access logs are showing code 404 missing cgi handlers or missing html

If I wonted to reset the searchs logs back to
            C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 5.1\statistics\serachwords
            How would I go about doing that
            Last edited by Bruce; Jun-28-2007, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              If I wonted to reset the searchs logs back to
              C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 5.1\statistics\serachwords
              How would I go about doing that
              I'm sorry, but I do not know what you mean by this. Can you re-phrase your question? What do you mean by "reset"? And are you referring to where the search logs are written by the search script?

You can specify the path to where the log is written by the search script in the "Advanced" tab of the Configuration window.

You can specify the path to where the statistics reports are written to, by clicking on the "Options" button on the "Search Statistics" window.

Can I also assume that you now have your statistics successfully generated by pointing it to the local file as opposed to the URL?
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

by "reset" I mean reconfig. the zoom to to write the searchworlds.logs to
                C:\Program Files \ZOOM SEARCH ENGINE 5.1\statistics\ searchwords.log
                witch I did last night in the zoom panel advanced tab by putting
                C:\Program Files \ZOOM SEARCH ENGINE 5.1\statistics\ searchwords.log
                into the log filename and checking the box.Then I ran the indexing and saved config. but still is not logging the rest the the search engine is working grate
                I am listing more web sites every day
                Last edited by Bruce; Jun-29-2007, 02:44 AM. Reason: typose

Comment

The script cannot write to your "Program Files" folder, most likely due to file permission settings on your server. Remember the original instructions and steps required you to give the appropriate permissions to the file before Apache can write to it. But even if you have done that, I suspect you may still have trouble because it is generally a bad idea to allow a web service to write to your "Program Files" folder, and it is possible that Windows would have some security policies in place to prevent this.

And having said that, I should point out that there is no need for you to write the search files directly into the statistics folder, and I believe you are confused. The search logs should be written to your Apache folder, and you simply tell Zoom where this folder is. Zoom will save and remember this setting if it is specified correctly (and you select the "Save Configuration" option afterwards).
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

got the seachwords.log to work I had to send the log file from the URL location
                    to the trash bin then the logs started working
                    thank you very much for all the help

Comment

Working...
                    X