search results (sometimes) won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search results (sometimes) won't open

Very impressed with your product. After a bit of trial and error, as I'm pretty new to this sort of thing, I managed to get zoom search to do what I wanted it to do and the users are pretty happy.

I'm not sure if this is a zoom search problem.

I have set up a web site to look at our safety management documents in a number of ways. 99% of the documents are in pdf format and all open succesfully from the web pages and from Adobe reader. All this is set up on a local drive and the aim is to run it from a cd or laptop, as the company works in some very remote parts of the world without access to the internet, networks, etc. I've transferred all the files onto cd to make sure that file paths, links, etc all work and all is fine, including my initial set up with zoom search

The search page I have set up succesfully lists all of the documents that it should, and all the file paths in the zoom search results appear to be correct. Yet when I go to open some documents, I get an error message telling me the path is incorrect or the file does not exist. The files have been indexed by zoom search and the configuration files have all been saved.

On a different computer, I get a different error. This time the document attempts to open in another window, but then shuts down and dissapears almost immeadiately.

On yet another computer, everything seems to be fine. So far, all documents appear to open properly from the zoom search result page.

The strange thing (to me) is that the computer that everything was built and designed on is one of the ones that does not want to open some of the files from the zoom search results. I would have expected that problems would be related to different computers with different configurations.

As I said, not sure if this is a problem with zoom search. Any ideas or pointers in the right direction???

After the search results have been generated then Zoom doesn't really have anything to do with opening the document. It is really up to the browser and the O/S to do this.

What is different between the 3 PC's? Are the browsers the same? Is the O/S version the same? Can you get the same behaviour with IE and Firefox? Do you have the same version of Adobe reader on each machine? Are some machines short on RAM?

Comment

It might also help if you can give us some example of the base URL you are using, and what your search result links look like. Perhaps you are using a linking method that is unsuitable for CDs (e.g. using absolute paths to the files on your HD as opposed to relative paths to the files on your CD).
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I may have confused the different computers with some of the search settings behind the scenes. It may have had something to do with tabbed browsing on different versions of Windows Explorer. Either way, after a bit of a play and some simplifying of settings, it all appears to be working now.

Comment

Working...
        X