Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i search for I+T

Hello

I have a problem with the search. How can I search for a name like I+T ?
    I have installed Zoom Search Engines v4.2

Sorry for my English, normally I write only Swiss-(German)

Thanks
    Michael

I+T will be treated as a two word search.
    "I" being the first word and "T" being the 2nd word.

Obviously the word "I" will be hard to get a good result for, as it will appear on many pages (at least in the English language). Zoom also has short one character words like "I" in the default skip list. So you'll also need to edit the skip list to allow short one character words, if you are to get any results.

Comment

Thank you for your posting. Sorry. "I+T" is a name for a company. I not search for I or T,
      I search for "I+T"

Comment

I understand what you are searching for, but the answer is still the same. The plus symbol sperates words, so I+T will be treated as a two word search.

Comment

Would using I+T as a synonym work?

Or, would adding the plus sign to the #WORDJOINCHARS: line in the .zcfg file work?

Good luck,
          Leon

Comment

Originally posted by MergeThis View Post
            Would using I+T as a synonym work?
            No, since the "+" character is stripped out of the search query and it is splitted into two words "I" and "T" as described above. So it will not match a synonym for "I+T".

Originally posted by MergeThis View Post
            Or, would adding the plus sign to the #WORDJOINCHARS: line in the .zcfg file work?
            While in order to search for "I+T" does require the addition of the "+" character to be used as a "Word join character", you can not manually add characters which are not currently supported by simply modifying the ZCFG file. The only characters which can be used for word joining are those available on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window.

At this point we have not considered adding the "+" character as a new word join character, and this is the first post that we've seen requesting such. In many cases, you will find that end users would not be expecting the "+" to be searchable, in some cases, they expect it to be search syntax. Even Google does not support searching with the + as a word join character:
            http://www.google.com/search?q=I%2BT

The original poster might be interested to note that they can search for I&T (note the ampersand '&' instead of the plus '+') by enabling the "Ampersand" option on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X