PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pages deleted from within Zoom keep showing up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pages deleted from within Zoom keep showing up...

So...I am pretty new to this zoom search engine and have tried looking through the manual and these forums and I am sure this is a really simple question - Here it goes:

So I index my site just fine, everything is working perfectly except after I index my site and then go to delete some pages, it works just fine, I hit refresh on my browser and the pages no longer show up...which is great! But when I add some new files and index my site to include them it adds all the files again including the ones i deleted within the software...I am positive that the program is working as intended, but is there a way for the software to remember pages that i have deleted and still index my site on a regular basis? If not...is there a script or line of code i can add to the pages so they do not show up at all? Any help would be very appreciated and I apologize if this has been discussed before, but like i said earlier i did try looking for the answer with no luck! Thanks in advance.

- Gary

p.s. incase it matters, i am doing this on an intranet site so obviously using the offline mode of indexing.
    Last edited by gsquared; May-30-2007, 08:42 PM.

If you want to exclude certain files from always being indexed, you should either enter their filename/URL into the "Page and folder skip list" on the "Skip Options" tab of the Configuration window. This will prevent them from being ever indexed again.

You are correct in that pages manually deleted from the index (using the option under the "Index" menu->"Manage existing index"->"View or delete pages from existing index") will only be removed from the current index file. This is the designed purpose. It does not avoid future re-indexing from indexing that file. The way to achieve that is to use the Skip Pages list as mentioned above. Another possible method would be to "content filter" those pages.

Hope that helps.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I think you should add an extra option in the delete pages area with a checkbox that reads... "Add these urls to skip pages section" or "skip these url(s) on future indexes". So, once you select all the crappy urls using the filter for processing in the delete pages section, u can simply add them to skip section. Seems like the most simple logical way cuz right now it's a bear to add urls to the skip section unless there's an easier way to do it that I don't know about.
      Last edited by allwebnow; Oct-12-2007, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Ray,

What do you think of adding the above feature/option I presented? Is it something that could be implemented in a near future release?

Comment

This is an OK idea, but generally removing one URL at a time is inefficient from a users point of view (unless you only have a really tiny web site). It is much more efficient to identify a common pattern in all the unwanted URLs, like the folder name, then delete multiple URLs with on entry in the skip list. This also has the advantage of automatically picking up all future URLs of the same type.

Comment

Oh, ok, I looked back on the skip section and read it aggain and for some reason I had in my head that the user needed to manually copy and paste the whole url that they wanted skipeed or else it wouldn't skip. I didn't really understand it completely that you could put in just a keyword to skip urls with that keyword in it. That's much more efficient and makes much more sense now. sorry for the ignorance.
            Last edited by allwebnow; Oct-14-2007, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X