How can I search files inside zip files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I search files inside zip files

How can I search the files that are inside zip files using Zoom search engine?

Zoom does not currently search files stored within ZIP files. You can however, search for the ZIP file itself by filename.

In the future, we may look into the possibility of adding plugin support for searching within ZIP files if there is enough user demand/interst for it.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

zip plugin

Ray

I'd like to register strong interest in a ZIP plugin
      We've just purchased ZOOM and are looking to replace index server withit - but no ZIP support makes the transition a little harder.

Does WrenSoft have funded developments ?

Comment

Yes, we do provide custom development services and have often done so for other companies in the past that had urgent or critical requirements. Please contact us by e-mail for details and/or a quote if you are interested.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I second it...searching ZIP files

Even the Wrensoft site is full of ZIP files, but they're not searchable? I think this is as needed as searching Word or PDF docs, given sometimes they're placed inside ZIP files.

Comment

Yes, we host a few Zip files, but most of them contain content such as binary executables, which lack any meaningful text and are not worth searchng.

You can search for ZIP files by filename and you can also add .desc files to describe the content of ZIP files. Using a .desc file allow meta data to be associated with this binary file type. See the users guide for details.

Searching for ZIP files on the web is never going to produce a clean solution as the user can't directly access the document in question (they need to unzip the file first).

But none the less, indexing of the content of ZIP files is on our to do list. It might be V6 before it is available however.

Comment

Working...
            X