Results found but the page is empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results found but the page is empty

We are using version 5 enterprise on our search page here...
    http://commonsenseadvisory.com/search/index.php

when searching for the term "translation" it finds 685 or so results yet no results are displayed.

Any sugestions?
    Is there a limit on how many results can be displayed?

- John
    John H. Ward, Jr.

I see tons of results, but I would suggest reducing the size of the Results description (what's it set at...500?).

I'm not sure why you can't see them and I ca, but it's probably some privilege issue on your server, or some such minor thing.

Good luck,
    Leon

Comment

I can also see the results, they show up fine here. Perhaps there was a temporary issue with your web server?

What also seems evident is that it appears you have modified the search script - it is renamed "index.php" and there is the additional text "Free with registration" before certain search results. I urge users to please tell us in advance when you have modified the search script - it is most certainly an important piece of information in our efforts to work out the cause of a problem. It can waste alot of our time when people change the script and its functionality, and then ask us to investigate the behaviour without telling us their changes, and we waste time trying to reproduce a problem which was never in our script.

So if you have modified the script, as it appears to be the case, then I suspect that the problem was caused by your changes. And perhaps you've fixed it since the post. If you continue to have problems, revert back to the factory default script provided by Zoom, and let us know if you the problem persists with the our original script.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

search.php was modified

Yes Ray,

You are correct. the index.php is a modified version of the stock search.php

The stock search.php is still out there in the same directory and produces the same results. The script(s) seem to die when the spelling / sugestions are loaded up.

It may look as if it is working correctly now but is is not. I will create another directory for test on the server. We do need some search functionality and what is there now is 100% better than what was there before.

OH, BTW the files are all chmod 777 in the search directory, so I don't think it's that...

Thanks.
        John H. Ward, Jr.

Comment

Since I can't see the problem at the moment, I am unable to give definite answers. But the next time you see the problem, check if the search page actually seems to be truncated, that is, you do not even get the footer of the page appearing after the search form, and in fact, if you "View Source", see if you find that all HTML output stops at a certain point. If so, then the problem may be due to memory or CPU limits configured on your web server. See this thread for extensive information on this topic.

Otherwise, let us know when you can reproduce the problem (using the default/unmodified script). Please provide example search queries that will produce the behaviour you are reporting. If possible, you can ZIP up the search files (all ZDAT files, search.php and settings.php) and e-mail them to us. This would allow us a closer look at what might be causing the problem.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

PHP running out of memory

Got it,

The PHP script was being terminated because it was running out of memory.

On the VPS server we use there is an 8M limit on PHP scripts and since the PHP binary is shared by other customers on the server, the hosting company has setup PHP so the limit cannot be changed.

Our pages have sortable lists of documents that are available for viewing/downloading.

By skipping pages with the sort order (ord=) or column (cid=) options set I was able to shrink the size of the index and dictionary files.

I added these lines to the skip list...
            ord=
            cid=

Thanks for the help.
            John H. Ward, Jr.

Comment

Normally it is possible to modify the amount of RAM available to PHP.

8MB is very small by todays standards. A typical server has 2GB of RAM in it. Meaning they are only allowing you 0.4% of the machines resources. If you are paying $5 / month for hosting, this might be fair. If you are paying >$30 / Month, I think they are taking advantage of you.

Comment

I was unable to change the limt in the php.ini file however adding...
                ini_set('memory_limit', '16M');

at the begining of the search.php sript did work.
                John H. Ward, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                X