Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Search for Windows & Mac Users

Hi all,

I am a member of a dog club and and we are wanting to make available to our members, searchable copies of our publications on CD/DVD.

We are wanting to use the CGI version of the search.

The generation of the index is being done on a windows PC - our issue is with the Distribution CD for Mac users.

I am using Zoom with the Server2Go for Windows PCs and that performs just as we want.

However we have a couple of users who have Macs without the IBM/Parallel option installed on their computer. Is there there any similar product to Server2Go that I can use for a Mac computer.

Or is this required for Macs at all?

Sorry if these seem dumb questions, but I don't have access to a mac and do not have a lot of knowledge of them.

Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Karen
    Last edited by KFBazenji; May-22-2007, 10:38 PM.

I am not aware of any out-of-the-box solutions to running a web server off a CD on a Mac.

Server2Go is a freeware project, but while the developers are considering a Mac OSX version - they apparently do not actually have a Mac to develop on:
    http://www.server2go-web.de/donation/mac_linux.html

I've looked around, and of the things I've found which are related, are:

XAMPP: an Apache/MySQL/PHP package, which is available for Mac OSX. This does not run on a CD by default, and it is designed to install onto your desktop computer. However, there are various add-on solutions which allow you to run XAMPP from a CD, such as this one known as XAMPPOnCD. Unfortunately, it seems to be Linux only at this point. However, there may be other open source solutions out there for Macs which I am unaware of.

Perhaps someone else can chime in if they know of any other alternatives for Macs.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X