Prevent indexing part of page title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent indexing part of page title?

Hi, I'm a Professional Edition member with a question.

I would like to prevent Zoom Search from indexing _part_ of a page's title and showing it in the search results.

For example, let's say I have a webpage in my site with the title "See Spot Run. See Dick and Jane Play."

But in the Zoom Search results, I only want users to see "See Spot Run."

(My reason: I want to have the title show one way when it shows up in Google's search results, but show up another way when it shows up in my own Zoom Search results.)

Is this possible? I tried the <!--ZOOMSTOP--> and <!--ZOOMRESTART--> method, but they didn't work for that purpose.

Thanks!

<!--ZOOMSTOP--> tags will not work within the <title> ... </title> tags because the HTML standard does not allow this. In fact, any HTML comments inside the <title> tags will actually appear in the title bar of your browser window, which you definitely do not want.

From the W3 HTML 4.0 specifications:
    Titles may contain character entities (for accented characters, special characters, etc.), but may not contain other markup (including comments).
    This means that it is actually impossible to insert HTML comments in the title, or anyway of marking text within the title that will not appear in your browser window or be ignored by external search engines.

The only alternative I can think of is to add support for some custom meta tag in the future, (eg. <meta name="ZOOMTITLE" value="my internal page title">) and then allow users to disable indexing of the normal title tag, and only index the meta ZOOMTITLE. This is something we are considering for meta descriptions and keywords as well, maybe for V6.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X