Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting page ranks of an entire site in an index with multiple sites

Hi,

Is it possible to boost the page rank of an entire site (based on start point) without having to add a zoompageboost tag to the pages within that site?

Basically, I have an index which includes a large number of sites but I'd like pages for one particular site to always show first if there are any matches for it. I don't want to have to add the zoompageboost tags to the pages because if other sites within the index did the same they would also get priority and I'd like to keep control of that!

I guess it's like the recommended links option but with any words found within the site rather than just the few words or phrases you can specify in the recommended links tab.

One option I suppose would be to have that one site indexed in a completely separate index but I understand there'd be a performance hit with doing that? (I'm using the cgi version with asp.net wrapper)

Thanks,

Paul

The ZOOMPAGEBOOST is the only way to give priority to the pages of a site of your choosing at the moment. I'm not sure what you mean by your other sites doing the same, and also getting priority - do you mean that you do not control these other sites and you're worrying that the webmasters of those third party sites may add this tag and effect the ranking on your search engine?

Per site priority/ranking might be something we'll need to look into if there is enough user interest.

One alternative might be to use categories, and have your main site under one category, and your other sites in the other category. Then default searches to the main category first, and when people can't find what they're looking for there, they can try the other categories.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your response - yes that's exactly what I was worrying about. I may try creating another smaller set of index files just for this one site and amalgamating the results with the main index results. With both returning xml that will be easy to do and will certainly give me the desired result, I'm just slightly worried about the performance hit.

Thanks again,

Paul

Comment

Working...
      X