Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words beginning with Polish character search problem

Hello,

I have just noticed, that Zoom seems to have problem finding words which begin with polish character. For example on my pages there is a word "Łokietek" (ancient polish king) and it is begins with capital letter. When I enter in search box the word "Łokietek" search function works OK, but when I enter "łokietek" I get no results.

Is this a bug ?

I am using Zoom v5.0 build 1007.

Darek

Which script are you using (PHP, ASP, CGI or JS)?
    What character set are your pages in?
    What character set do you have set in Zoom?
    Is your server running Linux or Window and do you know what local / language it is running in?

Comment

I am using ASP.
      My pages are set to iso-8859-2.
      Zoom is set to Unicode UTF-8 encoding.
      I use Windows 2003 Server, english version.

Darek

Comment

Darek - we have confirmed the problem. This is due to issues with Unicode support (or lack thereof) in the ASP scripting engine (VBScript in particular) - which fails to convert Unicode characters from upper to lowercase correctly.

We do not have an easy solution for this at the moment, and it would require major code changes to address this so it will not be fixed in the immediate future (we would have to basically write a special component or class for handling Unicode properly since VBScript fails to do so). You could chase up Microsoft to fix this in their ASP scripting engine, but needless to say, they're hardly the most responsive company to customers.

As an alternative solution, we would recommend using the PHP version which does not have this problem. PHP support can be installed on a Windows 2003 Server by following the instructions here:
        http://au2.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.iis.php
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X