Alter result URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alter result URL

I've had a search and read and can't determine how to go about this.

Spider URL: local-test.domain.com

Base URL: local-test.domain.com

Result URL: www.domain.com

Basically, i run a local test server on my home computer which uses a different domain name to the public. When approved, the files upload direct to the public server, which works fine.

When I spider the local site, It returns 'fixed' results that use the test domain, which won't work when uploaded to the public domain. It doesn't matter if the search results don't 'point' properly on the test environment.

Is there a way to spider the test server and only alter the results url.

e.g.
    local-test.domain.com/index.php becomes www.domain.com/index.php

There is currently no way to do this (unless your website has no dynamically generated pages, and can be indexed entirely in Offline Mode).

However, we have received alot of requests for this feature, so we are now planning to add a "Rewrite links" option in an upcoming build. This will allow you to specify text to search and replace in the output URLs (eg. replace all instances of "local-test" with "www") when they are indexed.

Using this option will disable the ability to use incremental indexing on your index files, and we will have to warn the user when they choose to use this.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

ok, hopefully it will appear sooner than later

For now, I can change the domain reference in the test server, index the site, and then switch back.

btw. nice. I was able to install zoom, and than integrate into my existing .php template (with some changes to the main script to accommodate) without too much hassle. A real bonus for something as 'complex' as search engines.

Comment

Turns out it was sooner

This feature is now available in the latest build (5.0.1005), which you can download from here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

The "Rewrite links" option can be found on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window. See the Help file for more information.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Good news, thanks.

This is working fine and enables me to not interrupt the work flow to index the site.

Comment

Working...
          X