Not all search results are displaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all search results are displaying

I am working on a web page that has Zoom search as a search option. I changed the template for this page and now not all the search results display. I did not create this page and have found most of my information form the web. I aplogize I do not have more info right now. Was hoping someone could direct me in the right direction for help....

It would help us if you could provide more information. What version of the software are you using? Was it working correctly before you changed your template? Are you talking about the search_template.html file we provide or another template file? Exactly what results are missing from your set of results? Which script option are you using (PHP, ASP, CGI, etc..)? Are there any error messages? etc...

Comment

V4...ASP...no error messages and yes it worked before I changed templates. The previous template had a scroll bar which I removed because it didn't work in all browsers. Now when we do a search the search results only show 1. I wanted to see where in the search_template.html (provded by Zoom) I could change it to show all the results from the search.

Comment

Can you give us a link to your search page? We would be able to confirm the problem more quickly that way.

Couple of possibilities:

a) Your changes to the template is causing the search results to not be displayed entirely. From the sound of things (you mentioning removing a scroll bar), you're either using frames or some fancy Javascript. Either of these could potentially be setup incorrectly and be the cause of the problem. You should test using the default search_template.html (generated by Zoom, with none of your changes), and see if the problem still occurs. If not, then the problem is in your HTML/JS.

b) You have set the "results per page" setting to 1. You might have done this via a custom search form, or a URL parameter (eg. "&zoom_per_page=1").

c) Your web server might have a memory/cpu restriction enforced (usually set by your web hosting company). I would look into the first two possibilities first before pursuing this one though. We can help you confirm it if this is the case, and you can give us the URL to your search page.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you so much for your response. I have an update. I completely deleted all the Zoom files from my server and started over. Now I get search results just not pulling from the location I specfied. I believe now I have a path problem. When I index....I get a No files found to spider from http://www.msd.k12.or.us/documents/district/board_policies/
          all these files are PDF's. this is the link where I start my search from
          http://www.msd.k12.or.us/district/school_board/BoardPolices.html

Also I believe the person who created this page created his own form for the searching...

Comment

Originally posted by Schroed View Post
            When I index....I get a No files found to spider from http://www.msd.k12.or.us/documents/district/board_policies/
            The error message is correct. That URL is not a valid start point for the spider. If you open that URL in a web browser, you will get a "Directory Listing Denied" error.

The spider needs a start URL which goes to a valid web page. A web spider works by crawling all hypertext links on a web page to find the other pages to index. The URL you specified does not provide this.

A common beginner's mistake is to assume that the spider can be given a URL pointing to a folder, and it will index all files within that folder. This is incorrect, and not possible. You can only index files this way if you use Offline Mode, and you are indexing files on your local hard disk.

When indexing files in Spider Mode, you are accessing web pages through HTTP. There is no way that the spider can know what files are within a folder unless the server is configured to return a directory listing in the form of a HTML page. The "Directory Listing Denied" error above indicates that your web server is not configured to do this.

So you should look into whether you really need to index in Spider Mode or Offline Mode first. If you have a copy of all the files that you wish to index, on your hard disk (or a local networked drive), and you don't need to index any dynamically generated web pages (eg. PHP, or ASP pages), then you should consider using Offline Mode.

Otherwise, if you really need Spider Mode, you might want to either enable directory listing on your server, or start Zoom's spidering on a valid HTML page which will link to all the PDF's that you wish to index.

Please refer to our Users Guide for more information on the differences between Spider and Offline mode and when to use which.

Originally posted by Schroed View Post
            Also I believe the person who created this page created his own form for the searching...
            It sounds like you're actually following up on someone else's work who originally setup your existing search engine. You might be able to save yourself alot of trouble if you can find the ZCFG file containing the configuration that he or she used for the site.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yes I am working with a file that was created by someone who has left. I was able to locate his old search folder which he used ASP. I was able to successfully do a search, but the files are all from 2005, and not specific to just the board policy PDF files.

What is your advice to "update" the current files. I do not see a ZCFG file that I can copy. All the orignial files that I need searched have not changed in the directory just updated.
              I updated to V4.2

Thank you so much for your explanation to the "newbie".

Comment

He should have saved his configuration for indexing the site. It is often the default "zoom.zcfg" file which is loaded when you start Zoom on his computer. It should have contained all the settings he used, and assuming he had saved it all, would have allowed you to just re-index and re-upload the files to your site with a few clicks of the button - thus updating your search index.

However, if he has not saved his configuration, or, if you no longer have access to the file, then you'll have to work out how to use Zoom. I don't know what your ex-colleague has done, but there are many options in Zoom, so you'll need to do some reading and understand how Zoom works and what settings/usage would best suit your situation.

My first guess would be to consider using Offline Mode, and pointing that to the folder of PDF files (on your local computer, or networked drive) which you wish to index. You'll have to setup the base URL to match the hosted location of the files.

But the best place to start is of course, reading the Users Guide:
                http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

The Version 4.2 Users Guide is also still available here:
                http://www.wrensoft.com/ftp/zoom_v4_2.pdf
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you so much for your help and support. After working on this for over a week...I found out that he had purchased your product, but no one has has the serial number or username.....I was using the free verison....So I guess we are going to purchase the V5 and start over.....

Comment

Working...
                  X