prioritize search results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prioritize search results

I know you can use the zoom/boost+1 /5 options to get a better result but it's not a option.

We have a site with a large set of ASP database driven reports combined with more traditional html pages. Every search seems to put the html pages on top and i wanted the more important asp pages to have priority. I disabled the long url penalty ( all asp pages have very long database urls)
    Is there a possibility to prioritize asp pages before Html pages in the results that i am missing?

It's not a option to add zoom +2 to all Asp database entrys, aprox 30.000 and aprox 400 html pages with zoom -1. That would take ages .

second question:
    How long does it take for asp pages to be "unqueued", i am still missing a lot of pages after 48 hours and 4 index passes.
    Last edited by sed; Feb-06-2007, 01:17 PM.

Rather than making 30,000 changes to your site's pages, maybe you can make a single change that effects all pages?

Can't you just include a single line of ASP code in the script that generates the headers for all your ASP pages. e.g
    Response.Write("<meta name=""ZOOMPAGEBOOST"" content=""3"">")

I am not sure what you mean by "unqueued"?

If you are missing pages refer to these FAQ questions.
    Q. Why are some of my pages being skipped by the indexer?
    Q. Why are links in my Javascript menus being skipped?
    Q. I am indexing with spider mode but it is not finding all the pages on my web site

Comment

i guess i have the problem there, on the server are several websites with own domainnames but running under different portnumbers. Extrnally the ISA server des the translation so a user does not notice this portnumber. On the webserver it's a different story.

With "unqueued" i eman when a page is no longer Queded on the zoomsearch application. I see lots of Queued pages but they do not seem to change state.
      ( difficult to describe, sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by sed View Post
        i guess i have the problem there, on the server are several websites with own domainnames but running under different portnumbers. Extrnally the ISA server des the translation so a user does not notice this portnumber. On the webserver it's a different story.
        This shouldn't affect what David was suggesting. With an ASP driven website, there would typically only be a handful of ASP pages which are used to generate the 30,000 dynamic pages mentioned. It should be possible to change the ASP page which generates these dynamic pages, to include the ZOOMBOOST tag. If your situation really prevents you from doing this, it would mean that you are also unable to add anything new across your website, eg. adding a new link to the top of each page. And this would be a significant flaw in the site design/management.

If you have multiple websites where you wish to achieve the same thing, yes, you would have to modify the scripts for each of these websites. But I am presuming you do not have 30,000 websites on the same server - and surely it would be something more managable?

Originally posted by sed View Post
        With "unqueued" i eman when a page is no longer Queded on the zoomsearch application. I see lots of Queued pages but they do not seem to change state.
        Links are queued by the spider for that single session only. They are queued when the spider finds a link. They are taken off the queue when the spider downloads from that URL. So you will not see them "change state", but just see the "Downloading..." message for that same URL.

The spider will attempt to download all queued links before indexing is completed UNLESS one of the limits are reached prior to this. There should be a red error message indicating what limit is reached if this is the case (unless you've turned off error messages under "Index Log" in the Config window).
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

we have about six different websites ( partly with the same content)
          Ervery website does generate database querys in asp to get a report.
          I see at least one problem:
          The CRC check seems to look to the url rather then the content. The same content can be found through the use of subsite dependent asp scripts. ( they generate a slightly different url)
          So the content is the same ( and the CRC does not see this) but the url is different. It shows up multiple times in the results.

Yes, the option you mentioned earlier to include a zoomfactor is possible, but does not solve this problem. ( but defenitly something to optimize the results later on)
          We are lookin ginto a small asp script that reads the database and generates only on type of url. The problem is to get this script indexed without the other ASP scrips. Turning of ASP is not the solution, looking into a aspx extension ( but we do not have any experience with that) and get more new errros ( webconfig related and so on)
          Last edited by sed; Feb-08-2007, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Duplicate URLs are never indexed, with or without the CRC option in Zoom being enabled

Duplicate content is filtered by the CRC option only if the content is the same. I am sure your 'duplicate' pages are not in fact duplicates. If I did a byte by byte comparision I am sure they would be just similar, but not 100% identical. Post the URLs and I can check if you want. It is likely you can filter the similar pages using the Zoom skip list however to remove the 'duplicates'.

Comment

Working...
            X