Noindex, Nofollow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noindex, Nofollow

I remember seeing this somewhere but I can't find it now. Does the zoom search engine ignore the meta tag for not indexing a page (<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">)?

I know we can use the skip option to specify pages/sections to skip, but we already have a lot of pages out there with the noindex meta tag, and I would have to go through and find all the ones that have this code so I can skip them. So if I can avoid having to do that, it would be a good thing.

If the zoom search engine DOES ignore the noindex meta tag, can I use content filtering? For example: -noindex,nofollow. Would this work, or does the content filtering only search in the <body> section of the page?

Thanks

Zoom does not currently support the robots meta tag. It is on our list of things todo however, and will probably make V5.1.

However, you can use the Content Filtering feature as you described. The content filtering is applied to the entire HTML, and not just the BODY section.

UPDATE
    This feature was added in V5.1 of Zoom, 15/June/2007.
    Zoom will obey meta robots tags for "noindex" and "nofollow", e.g.
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex">
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks.

For the content filtering, can you use a phrase instead of individual words? For example "-noindex, nofollow"

Comment

No, you can not use phrases because space characters are not allowed as a keyword entry for content filtering.

Also note that content filtering only prevents a page from being indexed. It does not prevent links from being followed, so it can not provide the same function as "nofollow".
        Last edited by Ray; Jan-24-2007, 06:17 AM. Reason: Edited to correct my statement. I thought spaces were allowed - but they're actually not. My mistake.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X