Author searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Author searching

I've asked about searching for document Authors before, and it's not possible. But I note that when searching for images as described in the ImageInfo Plugin, you can search for, for example:
    Make:Sony
    Width:800 Make:Sony
    Could there be a way to add such meta data to an HTML or PDF document, such that I could search for:
    author:Smith, or
    mymetadata:information
    Regards,
    Ian Tresman

You can search for authors by using their name. But you can't restrict the search to just the meta author data. The search will be on the document content and the meta data.

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      You can search for authors by using their name. But you can't restrict the search to just the meta author data. The search will be on the document content and the meta data.
      But the image metadata allows restricting, for example, to "Make" (ie Make:Sony)?

So I could add an image to a page containing metadata, whereby I use Make as the Author (ie. Make:"William Sheakespeare"), and this would allow an author search? But it would be nice to do it, without actually adding an image.

Regards,
      Ian Tresman

Comment

The ImageInfo plugin simply outputs plain text in the form of "Make:Sony". When you have the colon character enabled for word joining, this allows you to search for that as a single word, and in effect, generally allowing you to perform a search for that meta data field. However, it is technically just plain text that you are matching. This means that should you have any other documents with the text "Make:Sony", then it will also match.

So you could potentially add text such as "author:George" to your HTML documents and have them show up as searchable text. However, it is not a particular searching syntax and does not technically restrict to a specific field of meta data.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Now I understand, and that provides for a workaround. Thanks.

Regards,
          Ian Tresman

Comment

Working...
          X