highlighting problem with floating menu Javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highlighting problem with floating menu Javascript

My web site - MG F/TF Central uses a 'floating' menu, when I click on a search result, the menu is static on the linked page. Could the highlighting be interfering with the floating menu script ??

edit : just found this thread, I'll investigate the last post option, but any more input would be welcome.
    Last edited by petevick; Oct-09-2006, 08:27 PM.
    Pete Vickerstaff
    MG F/TF Central

Yes, it is almost sure that this is due to an incompatibility between the two scripts. It isn't rare at all to find several bits of Javascript not playing nicely together, when they are thrown onto the same page.

Comment

Blimey, that was quick

Any ideas as to a way around the problem
      Pete Vickerstaff
      MG F/TF Central

Comment

Scroll down to the "Known issues and troubleshooting" section of the support page on the "jump to highlighting" feature here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/highlighting.html

This explains the nature of the problem. There's also a secondary method of calling the highlight script which you can try: instead of calling highlight() in the body tag with onLoad, you can use a script tag at the very bottom of the page. See the above URL for details. For some scripts, this method could be more compatible. However, it is also possible that there may not be any easy fix without having to debug/rewrite your scrolling menu script.

Here's another thread for reference, with another user who found a solution to a similar problem:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray, very useful, I'll give the loading via a script a shot.
          Pete Vickerstaff
          MG F/TF Central

Comment

I've tried loading via a script, no joy unfortunatly, plus a few other novel guesses, still no joy. Anyone got any brilliant ideas ??
            Pete Vickerstaff
            MG F/TF Central

Comment

As mentioned on our support page for the "Jump to Highlighting" feature (and our other discussion threads), we really have to leave it up to you to debug the scrolling menu script you are using. Otherwise, we would be spending all our time debugging and fixing all the various Javascripts other people have written ... instead of working on our own product - and that wouldn't make much sense.

If you don't have scripting experience, I would recommend looking for another menu script, and maybe finding one which is compatible.... failing that, you should consider disabling either the scrolling menu or the jump-to-highlighting - depending on whatever's more important to you.

For our other readers, I'd like to clarify and point out that this is an optional feature which performs highlighting of the searched words on the actual web page itself (and scrolls to the first instance). This is not related to the highlighting which occurs on the search results page (which works fine and does not require any Javascript trickery).
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the comments in your first para totally. Indeed, I don't have much scripting experience, and I have tried various other scripts, none appear to cohabit with highlighting. So for the time being I've turned off highlighting, I'll look further into it and post up if I find a result. Thanks again for the help guys.
                Pete Vickerstaff
                MG F/TF Central

Comment

I've come up with a short term answer until I have more time to sort out the highlight/jump conflict with the menu. I'm using the script off this web site to manually highlight phrases on a page. Works pretty well, altho a tad slow on the larger pages, still pretty useful tho,
                  Pete Vickerstaff
                  MG F/TF Central

Comment

Working...
                  X