Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force a re-direct form results

Hi Folks!

I have a website that contains product pages. On the pages we have a button so viewers can download that products PDF. We are using a registration cookie that has to be present on the clients PC before the download will begin.

Is there a way to code into the PDF search results a redirect to the "Check Cookie script"? This way forcing the viewer to fillout a registration form before allowing them access to the PDF's.

I'm not a programmer and really don't know if this is even possible. I would think not since Zoom is spidering the site and compiling URL links.

Thought I would ask though...thanks!

Eric

This isn't possible in Zoom without some custom development, and it also wouldn't be the best approach to implementing something like this. For one thing, it means that people can still share the URL to the actual PDF file, bypassing the search engine and any form of authentication. Similarly, an Internet-wide search engine such as Google will also give direct links to the PDF file.

A better and more typical way of implementing this would be to have a separate download script that serves your product PDFs (and does the cookie check and redirect to the registration form if necessary) and you link to this download script specifically in the rest of your site (eg. "download.php?fileid=1234"). That way the PDF file will not be available via a direct URL, and only through your download script. The PDFs may also be stored in a database or an access restricted part of the server that only the script can access. I would recommend consulting with a programmer for further details.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X