determining upload path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• determining upload path

i normally use Ipswitch WS_ftp for uploading. i'm trying to use Zoom to automatically upload my index files. I enter ftp.mysite.com as the FTP server and I consider that my root directory. My Zoom files are in the same directory. When i try to enter "/" as the upload path, it can't find it. i've tried making a new directory "search" and then using /search or mysite/search or mysite.com/search. None works. What am i missing?

The settings should be the same as those that you use with WS_ftp FTP

I can't see the directory structure on your server and so I can't tell you exactly what your upload path should be. On at least some servers the web site is held in a sub-directory, called something like, www or public_html, etc..

So you assumption that the FTP address takes you directly to the web site root folder might be incorrect.

Are you sure it is a path problem and not a user name / password problem?

If you continue to use WS_ftp make sure you select BINARY transfer mode for all the files (not ASCII).

----
    David

Comment

For your info, the solution was to specify the path to my root as "/.". The period after the slash was critical. Thanks for your help.

Comment

FYI (and other users reading this thread),

"/" refers to the absolute root directory of your web server. This is not the same as the root directory of your website. For example, your site's main page may be hosted at a URL of http://www.mysite.com/index.html, but the file may actually be located at /home/myaccount/public_html/index.html on the server itself.

Note that the file paths may differ from server to server and you should check your web host's support information for details.

"./" refers to a relative path based on your home directory (for your user login on the web server).
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X