PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indexing ASP .NET data grids or AJAX pages (dynamic content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing ASP .NET data grids or AJAX pages (dynamic content)

Is there any way to do either one using Wrensoft?

I have several web pages that display content from a database in a .Net grid with paging. Would like to make sure that content from pages 2 - xx are indexed, but can't see how to do it

Is your website online, and if so, can you give us a URL to some example pages that you are trying to index?

There shouldn't be any problems if your .NET website creates valid HTML links to each of the pages in question.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
      Is your website online, and if so, can you give us a URL to some example pages that you are trying to index?

There shouldn't be any problems if your .NET website creates valid HTML links to each of the pages in question.
      Here is an example page:

http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/Sub...l/TB2Blog.aspx

THANKS! You guys have a great product!

Comment

All search engines are going to have a problem with the example page you gave.

You don't have HTML links between the pages for the spider to follow.

Your links look like this,
        javascript:__doPostBack('TB2BlogAlt1$dgTb2Blog$_ct l1$_ctl1','')

The next problem is that your pages don't have unique URL. Pages with different content share the same URL. This mean people can't book mark pages on your site, can't E-Mail links to ther friends and spiders can't index your site correctly.

-----
        David

Comment

Thanks David, I understood those limitations, was just hoping that there was a simple solution. AJAX pages potentially have the same issue...

The page indicated is using a basic ASP .NET data grid web user control with paging and sorting turned on. I'll take a look over at some of the .NET forums and see what they suggest.

I guess I might have to put my thinking hat on for this one...would rather focus on content than coding right now...

Comment

One solution might to be to detect the spider using the User Agent string and then turn off paging and sorting. (i.e. display all the content on 1 page).

This way everything will be indexed, but the search result links still won't take the user directly to the correct page (as there is no distinct links for pages, 2,3,4,...)

----
            David

Comment

Originally posted by Wrensoft
              One solution might to be to detect the spider using the User Agent string and then turn off paging and sorting. (i.e. display all the content on 1 page).

This way everything will be indexed, but the search result links still won't take the user directly to the correct page (as there is no distinct links for pages, 2,3,4,...)

----
              David
              Thanks...I think I might drop the data grid in v2, and just build the grid manually, substituting URLs for the javascript postbacks.

Comment

Working...
              X