CGI won't work at work with Server2Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGI won't work at work with Server2Go

I'm developing a site which will be burned to a CD/DVD, using Zoom Search Engine 4.2 and Server2Go. The javascript indexing option works fine. However, the CGI/Win option I am having problems with. It works on my home PC, indicating all the files are in their correct places, yet it won't work on my work PC. I have local admin privileges and full file permissions on both PCs (Windows XP). On my work PC, CGI scripts on the internet work, yet CGI on the local machine zone don't. An error dialog comes up in the background in IE6 - cannot find 'file:///c:site//cgi-bin/search.cgi'. It's not a 404 page not found - I can easily produce one of those by just removing/renaming the file. I have tried playing around with the browser's security settings to no avail; I think it has something to do with the intranet/firewall/security policies at work or the browser auto detecting proxy settings (it doesn't seem to allow Apache to execute CGI on the localhost). Server2Go/Apache serves up all the rest of the site content fine on the work PC except for the search.cgi. Interestingly, if I unplug the network cable on my work PC, Server2Go just hangs starting up, yet it will work on a standalone laptop. There seems to be alot of processes running in the background like network administration type stuff, so I'm not sure if maybe one of those is interfering with Apache's usual operation. I can provide a more detailed explanation of the problem if need be. Any suggestions are appreciated. Btw I think the product's great.

This sounds like a Server2Go issue with your work setup. The fact that it works on one PC but not on another does make this difficult to troubleshoot. It may be related to your different security policies, but we really can't know for sure.

Have you tried the Server2Go forum? It is here:
    http://www.server2go-web.de/forum/index.php

There are at least a few mentions of people who have problems with Server2Go not starting, so perhaps you can find more information there.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I did as you suggested and tried to find a solution on the Server2Go forum. I posted there too, and after a week I still have no solution. I was going to try to get Server2Go's Apache to output an error log, since it normally doesn't (obviously it's designed to run off a CD). I have noticed if I create a link to the CGI front end exe, IE will let me download it only if IE wasn't started from Server2Go.

Comment

Perhaps you should try the PHP version and see if you have better luck with that. Server2Go also supports PHP.

And make sure to check if you have any special security policies in place. We can't really be of much help without knowing this. Another thing to check is if you have Norton Antivirus or similar software running. Features such as "script blocking" are known to break web server functionality, so you could try temporarily disabling it.

Finally, you could also look another package known as Microweb which is similar to Server2Go. However it is not free.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Another thought. As Server2Go is a free product, you might want to offer the author a donation or support payment in order to buy some of his time to have a look at your specific problem.

-----
          David

Comment

Server2Go works from my desktop at work but not always when I copy the same exact files and folders to the network. I could get Server2Go to work on a network drive a few times but now I can't. I copied just the folders required, then all files and folders, configured the pms_config's "DefaultFile=" to everything under the sun and tried "DefaultRoot=cgi-bin" and many other options but can't get to remain stable. I can get CGIFrontEnd to run from the network but can't get the links to open my files . . . still struggeling I am

Comment

Zoom CGI Front End . . . Can't get Server2Go to work

I stumbled through again realizing I didn't follow instructions. I now have a FAST search on our network and can log on from any PC and use anytime!!!! Can even email the link to others on the network for their use. We don't have an intranet because of no server of this sort. Was using JavaScript before. The CGI Front End, Zoom FI, works great and what I was doing wrong before was incorrect "Base URL". Zoom FE would display the search.cgi but none of the links would work. Finally I read the instructions about Base URL. I changed it to "file://sspap2/dwgfile/Maintenance" instead of "\\sspap2\dwgfile\Maintenance"

Comment

Working...
              X