wrong multiple results for search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong multiple results for search

Hi.. I don't know how to explain this... We have a blog and each entry is listed on a page on our site which I have tried to index along with our main indexing because indexing just the main page does not pull up these links.. Instead it will tell me that yes, "metformin" is on www.hcvadvocate.org/news/review.asp and brings me to that page and not to the list of links

So I thought I add another entry point (review.asp) and yes it is picking up the acutal links on the blog, but when it does so it gives me every blog entry on the blog no matter which search word I use...

I have tried all the option on how /review.asp is to be indexed... (there are 5) and all of them produce the same result!!!

So if I use only on start point (the main page), I don't get a direct hit (only that the link is on "page x" and then I have to use my browser search engine to locate the link (this is a hassle!!!!!); or I get 10 pages of entries for a search term but with links to everything else..

I have saved the page results as a jpg if that will help... and can send html's of the results as well.

Does anyone know how to fix this? My site is huge and repeatedly spidering it and uploading it is a real bummer!!! CD

More on multiple wrong entries

What do I need to do to have a search entry take me to the word in the ACTUAL LINK on a page.. not just the page that the link is on.. Sometimes it does this, and sometimes it doesn't..

Can someone please help me out here.. !

CD

Comment

As far as I can see the results are correct.

You did a search for the word, "Metformin". This word does in fact appear on all the pages in your set of results. Further it appears within the same phrase. You have the same blocks of text on large number of pages, it forms part of your 'BLOG ARCHIVE' navigation menu on the right of each of your pages.

So you really need to exclude the (very large) navigation elements of your site from the indexing process.

See this FAQ for details of how to do this,
      Q. How do I prevent parts of my webpage from being indexed (eg. exclude navigation menus, or page footers)?

Comment

Ah.. yes.. that does make sense.. I did note that it was the same page on the blog (each month is apparently a page) that kept being repeated.....I shall check my blog archive code and see if I can implement the Zoomstop... Thanks

CD

Comment

Ray.. I went up to my blog, and put the zoomstop and zoomstart around the archive widget but it didn't work..

I need some help.. If you know how to do it, can you help me? Can I pay you? We are running this service for a bunch of sick people and they are confused enough as it is.. So if anyone reading this post knows how to tell blogger and zoom to not index the archive for every entry in the blog.. we would be very very happy..

Please email me at cdmazoff@hcvadvocate.org if you wish to help for free or for a fee...

Thanks

CD

Comment

I had a look at this page (which was in the result set you posted above).
            http://hcvadvocate.blogspot.ca/2012/04/incivektm-telaprevir-now-funded-for.html

There is no ZOOMSTOP tag in the HTML code. So as the code isn't there it is no surprise it doesn't work.

Comment

Hi Ray.... I thought I was supposed to put the zoomstop tag in the main blog template to stop the indexing of the blogarchive widget on the blog, and not in each individual post..

If I am do put the tag in each post can you tell me where I am to insert it in each post?

But then I don't understand.. I need to have each post indexed (which is being done).. but I thought the problem was that the blog archive widget was being reindexed each time as well and that this was causing the problem..

If you can tell me what to do to fix this problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

CD

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
              I had a look at this page (which was in the result set you posted above).
              http://hcvadvocate.blogspot.ca/2012/04/incivektm-telaprevir-now-funded-for.html

There is no ZOOMSTOP tag in the HTML code. So as the code isn't there it is no surprise it doesn't work.

Comment

As per the FAQ you need to place the HTML tags around all the text you don't want indexed.

How you go about adding HTML to your pages depends on your site, how you have built it, and what tools you use.

If you use a common block of navigation code which gets included on many of your pages, then it should be enough to make a single change to this common navigation code.

Comment

Hi Ray.. Could you give me/us a hand here? Our blog is a Google blog and uses a google template.. I didn't "design" it...

Below is the complete code to the archive widget on my blog..

Can you tell me where to insert the zoomstop and zoomstart? This would really be appreciated

==============

<b:widget id='BlogArchive1' locked='false' title='Blog Archive' type='BlogArchive'>
                  <b:includable id='main'>
                  <b:if cond='data:title'>
                  <h2><data:title/></h2>
                  </b:if>
                  <div class='widget-content'>
                  <div id='ArchiveList'>
                  <div expr:id='data:widget.instanceId + &quot;_ArchiveList&quot;'>
                  <b:if cond='data:style == &quot;HIERARCHY&quot;'>
                  <b:include data='data' name='interval'/>
                  <b:if cond='data:style == &quot;FLAT&quot;'>
                  <b:include data='data' name='flat'/>
                  <b:if cond='data:style == &quot;MENU&quot;'>
                  <b:include data='data' name='menu'/>
                  </div>
                  </div>
                  <b:include name='quickedit'/>
                  </div>
                  </b:includable>
                  <b:includable id='flat' var='data'>
                  <ul class='flat'>
                  <b:loop values='data:data' var='i'>
                  <li class='archivedate'>
                  <a expr:href='data:i.url'><data:i.name/></a> (<data:i.post-count/>)
                  </li>
                  </b:loop>
                  </ul>
                  <b:includable id='menu' var='data'>
                  <select expr:id='data:widget.instanceId + &quot;_ArchiveMenu&quot;'>
                  <option value=''><data:title/></option>
                  <b:loop values='data:data' var='i'>
                  <option expr:value='data:i.url'><data:i.name/> (<data:i.post-count/>)</option>
                  </select>
                  <b:includable id='interval' var='intervalData'>
                  <b:loop values='data:intervalData' var='i'>
                  <ul class='hierarchy'>
                  <li expr:class='&quot;archivedate &quot; + data:i.expclass'>
                  <b:include data='i' name='toggle'/>
                  <a class='post-count-link' expr:href='data:i.url'><data:i.name/></a>
                  <span class='post-count' dir='ltr'>(<data:i.post-count/>)</span>
                  <b:if cond='data:i.data'>
                  <b:include data='i.data' name='interval'/>
                  <b:if cond='data:i.posts'>
                  <b:include data='i.posts' name='posts'/>
                  </li>
                  </ul>
                  <b:includable id='toggle' var='interval'>
                  <b:if cond='data:interval.toggleId'>
                  <b:if cond='data:interval.expclass == &quot;expanded&quot;'>
                  <a class='toggle' href='javascript:void(0)'>
                  <span class='zippy toggle-open'>▼&#160;</span>
                  </a>
                  <b:else/>
                  <a class='toggle' href='javascript:void(0)'>
                  <span class='zippy'>
                  <b:if cond='data:blog.languageDirection == &quot;rtl&quot;'>
                  ◄&#160;
                  <b:else/>
                  ►&#160;
                  </span>
                  </a>
                  <b:includable id='posts' var='posts'>
                  <ul class='posts'>
                  <b:loop values='dataosts' var='i'>
                  <li><a expr:href='data:i.url'><data:i.title/></a></li>
                  </ul>
                  </b:widget>

================

As per the FAQ you need to place the HTML tags around all the text you don't want indexed.

How you go about adding HTML to your pages depends on your site, how you have built it, and what tools you use.

If you use a common block of navigation code which gets included on many of your pages, then it should be enough to make a single change to this common navigation code.

Comment

The above isn't HTML. It is some type of template programming language that we aren't familiar with.

But if you can include plain old HTML into it, then my guess would be to put the STOP tag the 3rd line, and the RESTART tag on the 3rd last line.

Comment

I really appreciate your giving it a look.. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I may find some help on a google forum.. but I'm not counting on it.

All the best

CD

The above isn't HTML. It is some type of template programming language that we aren't familiar with.

But if you can include plain old HTML into it, then my guess would be to put the STOP tag the 3rd line, and the RESTART tag on the 3rd last line.

Comment

Update on the problem

Hi Ray.. Just to let you know.. I tried your solution.. It didn't work.. I then spent quite some time on google finding out if anyone else had this problem.. It seems that this is a known issue with Google blogger; the issue is that it doesn't make separate pages for entries, and so the reason everything comes up a zillion times is that it keeps going back to the one page for every link and loops etc..

What I did do is this: removed my review.asp page with the blog links from my indexing and I modified my search results template to incude a search box directly to the blog... http://linux.hcvadvocate.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?zoom_query=

It's messy but not as messy as before..

If you can think of anyway to make it nicer, I'd really appreciate it..

Thanks

CD

Comment

Working...
                        X