X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering search results either befor or after

I have an ASP site.
    I am only indexing PDF files.

I have three cases of users and depending on the user they only need access to certain PDF search results.

Example: PDF classes A, B and C
    Given user they may always see A results but maybe B or C
    I have the information my database as to which class(s) a user may see but my question is how do I translate that into the search.

I would like to do it before the actual search ...but afterward is ok if I can use ASP so I can hit the database to filter out that they do not need to see.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Durell Hall

Maybe you can use the categories feature in Zoom, and then in your search function you pass in a list of categories to search. Your script would need to determine which ones are the correct categories for a particular user at a particular time, then built up the URL to pass into the search function.

A second option would be to use the CGI option in Zoom, turn on XML output, then parse the XML output in your own script to determine what to show and what to hide.

Comment

I like the idea of the first one ... Where would I find the doc on this?

Thanks for the fast response!!
      Durell

Comment

As this is a requirement specific to your web site, there won't be a document that covers the entire process. If you have a specific question about our software we'll try and help out.

Comment

Where would I find the doc on search categories?

Comment

The User's Guide is the place to start,
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

Comment

Is it possible to control the category list by user? If so, how is this accomplished?

Comment

The engine will have no knowledge of your users, nor the permissions they have. There is no standard implementation of what a "user" is on a website, so it varies from site to site. There is no way Zoom can change its behavior per user.

To do this you would need to write some code to,
                1) Detect who the current user is
                2) Work out what permissions that user has
                3) Map the permissions to search categories
                4) Create a search form (or a URL) on the fly with just the correct categories in the form.

You would also need to give some thought to about how secure you want the system to be. Hiding a category on the search form doesn't protect the data from a smart user.

Comment

I am getting closer ....
                  The category drop down ... how do I hide that so it will still use the categories I pass in but does not show the category drop down ... or another way would be to limit the search page to categories available ..which may not be all for a particular user.

The preferred method would be to limit the categories a user would see.
                  Last edited by durell; Mar-28-2012, 07:29 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

You need to build your own search form in HTML. This FAQ page should help, there is a section on categories,
                    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#searchform

Comment

ok...now we are cooking ... I see how to implement my own search form ...
                      However, I want to drop the search form that returns with the search results. Looking through the options in the indexer and the FAQ and the Guide I do not see where I can supress the default seach form from being displayed with the results. Would you please point me in that direction..

Thanks
                      Durell Hall

OH .... one more thing ... you have a great product! Your support is also fantastic. I am a developer so I know what has gone into this project and you shuld be very proud of it!

Comment

Thanks.

There is an option in the "Search page" configuration window to turn off the form (or select just a basic form).

Comment

I believe I have this under control now. Thanks for all of your assistance in this issue.

Durell

Comment

Working...
                          X