V6 - PDF searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 - PDF searches

I am in the process of implementing this search engine for a client. MEDCRAZE. The user has configured the PC part for PDF only and indexed his site. The search.template.html has been passed through W3C HTML Validator and passed.

The author of one of his two test PDF is Dr. Newman. Which is on the first page of the PDF as well as several other pages. The search is not finding the name "Newman".

Not sure where to start looking for this problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Durell Hall

Check the log to see if the documents in question were mentioned in the log as being indexed.

Then check the document to make sure the text is actually in the document. We sometimes see cases where documents have been scanned in, and they no longer contain any text, but as just an image.

Check the PDF is not encrypted / password protected.

Try searching for *Newman* in case Dr.Newman is in the index as a single word.

See if any words from the PDF can be found, or if the issue is just this one particular word.

Comment

The pdf files shoudl not be an issue ...as on another page I have them just linked in and I can view them without any issues.

I have told the owner to re-index and upload then check the log for issues. Will let you know what we find out. Thanks for the assist.

Just as a question..... can I install his key on my machine ...and re-index myself or do I have to wait for him to check for me. I have the key ..but have not tried to register since I thought it might short-circuit his software.

If I can not do that ... not a problem ... fully understand.

Thanks again...will let you know what happens.

Durell Hall

Comment

License details can be found here,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...s.html#license

You can move the software between machines (uninstall / re-install)

Comment

ok.....think I have this thing almost there .... these files are not linked anywhere on the site ... they will only be accessed and linked via the Search.

How do I accomplish this ... to get them indexed.

Thanks,
          Durell Hall

Comment

If you want to index files that are not linked to your site, you can either add a page with links or index the files in offline mode.

Note that visitors to your site don't need to know about the 'links' page.

Comment

Would editing the robots.txt work?
              Penny auction sites
              Last edited by Tom505; Mar-22-2012, 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

No.
                robots.txt won't help to find hidden pages.

Comment

Working...
                X