X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot enter search in Firefox or Chrome

I have been developing a site here:
    http://www.matthewharkey.co.uk/dev_html/
    Everything looks good in Internet Explorer, but I cannot enter any text into the search form at the top of the page in Chrome or Firefox.
    The problem is probably something simple that I've missed. Can't work out what.
    Hope you can help.

line 81 column 133 - Error: end tag for "input" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

Comment

Thanks, hadn't spotted that, and W3C validation also highlighted a couple of other problems.
      I think in html there's no need for an end tag for <input>, but I'd forgotten to inculde the "/" before the ">"
      Still doesn't work in chrome / firefox, but OK in ie9.

Comment

Besides the HTML validation issues, I also think you have CSS issues.

I suspect one of the <div> sections for your dynamic menus overlaps the HTML form. Hiding the form from mouse clicks. Maybe this line,
        <!-- menu-wrap -->
        <div id="wrapper">

Comment

Thanks. I think you might be right. I'll spend some time over the next day or two ckecking the positions of the div areas.

Comment

Adding a z-index property to force the form to be in front of other elements is one solution.

<input name="zoom_query" type="text" style= "width:100px; border:0px solid; height:22px; padding:0px 3px; position:relative; z-index:99;"></td>

Better solution would be to remove the accidental overlap of your page elements.

Comment

As you suspected it was the position of one of the div tags.
              I considered the z-index trick, which would have solved the problem, but as you implied this was a bit of a cheat and not very tidy.
              I gave the outer div area a larger top margin and re-aligned a couple of others to fit again. Now it's wokring in all browsers. Thanks.

Comment

Is there a way to edit / delete threads that I've posted, as this is resolved and is being indexed by search engines. TIA.

Comment

We block editing of old posts to stop people going back and adding spam into old posts.

We pretty much always leave posts in the forum, especially those that had a happy ending. As it can help others with similar issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X