PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program.

I've been running Zoom Search Engine V6 for well over a year and today I encountered this alert for the first time:

Windows Security Alert

To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program.

Name: ZoomIndexer
    Wrensoft: Wrensoft

Should I select the Unblock option and not worry about it? Why would this alert occur now? A recent Microsoft security patch? I am running Zoom Search Engine on Windows Server 2003. The only recent change I made to the server was moving its IP from a private LAN 192.168.x.x IP address to a public static WAN IP address. Is Windows Firewall more fussy about public IP addresses?

I don't know all the details about the Window's firewall and when it triggers a prompt to the user, but it is normal that Zoom needs access to your network when indexing pages from a remote web site. So you should unblock it.

If you are only indexing pages in offline mode, and aren't using the FTP transfer option either, then no network access is required.

Comment

OK, seems harmless enough. I understand it now. I allowed Zoom access through firewall. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X