PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can .dwf files now be searched without creating desc files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can .dwf files now be searched without creating desc files?

The below excerpt is from the FAQ...
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Q. What can Zoom index from my AutoCAD DWF files?

However, vector-based text created within the Canvas Pane can not be searched. This is because the "text" here is not actually constructed as text data - they are stored within the DWF files as vector shapes. This is also why AutoCAD itself does not offer a "Search Text" function for this type of content as far as we know. ........................
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I know with the latest Autodesk Design Review 12.0 you can search for text within the dwf. Is there a chance that text within .dwf can now be searched without creating .desc files? If not is this something for a future release?

The search on our web site is always out of date because no one wants to take the time to create the .desc files for the thousands of .dwfs we use and update frequently.

We haven't looked at the AutoCAD situation for a while. And the comment above was written some years ago.

The quick way to see what happens with the latest format DWF file is to try them. It might just work. If you do, let us know.

But if you were aware of any command line utility that allowed all the text to be extracted from AutoCAD files that would be interesting as well.

Comment

I just published our web site only looking only at the .dwf files and not the .desc files......massive failure. Going to have to run it again with the .desc files turned on.
      I'm not sure how the AutoCAD .dwf viewer does it but you can search for text within a .dwf now. Please consider supporting this in the future.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X