How to I specify ".PDF" Category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to I specify ".PDF" Category?

I added a category to allow users to show only PDF documents when conducting a search. However, after setting the match pattern to .pdf and then indexing the site, I tried the category filter but it failed. I simply get a blank page with no PDF files. Any suggestions as to why this is happening; solutions or examples are welcomed as well. Thanks.

Here is an example of my entry:

Category name: ABC Test
    Match Pattern: .pdf (is this the correct entry or do I need quotes around entry, etc.)
    Description: This is a test

You don't need quotes. It should be just .pdf for the pattern.

For the PDF files on your site are you directly linking to them, (with a URL that ends in .PDF) or are you linking to them via a PHP script which does a redirect, or the like?

What is the URL for your site's search function so we can have a look.

Did you upload the new set of index files to your site after re-indexing?

Comment

The URL is www.abdmatrix.com.

Go to the premium repository link and a the top of the page you will see the search form.

Note: the pdf files are all directly linked to a file ending in .pdf.

Comment

I had a look at your site, but didn't find any PDF files. Nor any URLs that end in .PDF.

I found pages that talked about PDF files, but no actual files I could download. I assume this is because I was not logged into your site.

If you need to index password protected content see this FAQ for details.
        Q. How do I index protected parts of my website requiring user authentication?

Comment

True, you have to be a registered member to download the PDF file; however, I'm not sure why I would need to index password content. If I perform a simple search now all files including those files that do not have the .pdf extension show. I want any visitor/reg. user to have the ability to filter out all files except those that have a pdf extension. I thought using the category function did that; however, when I select the PDF Documents check box (on my site) nothing appears. Why would you need download privileges in order for the PDF filter to work?

I will investigate your suggestion; however, a I have my doubts that this is the cause. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

I think you might be confused. I didn't see any PDF files on your site nor in the search index.

You DO have pages with titles like this,
            Viewing Composite Production.pdf - - Powered by PHCDownload
            and of course this looks like it is a link to a PDF. But in fact it is a link to a HTML files with .PDF in the title of the page.

True, you have to be a registered member to download the PDF file; however, I'm not sure why I would need to index password content
            This sounds like a contradiction. If you want to index PDF files, and if on your site those files are only available after you login with a password, then clearly you need to login before you can index the PDF files. (or find another solution, like removing the password, or indexing in offline mode).

Comment

Working...
            X