Skipped words and highlighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipped words and highlighting?

Why do 'skipped words' show up as Highlighted? Very confusing to user.
    Cant that be turned off, and still use highlighted words?

thanks

If you do a search for words included in the skip list, then they will not be taken into account during a search.

But if by chance they do appear on a page in the result set then highlighting is still done.

I think this makes some sense. As the user did in fact search for the word after all. If the search terms was "johnston and johnston", then it makes sense to exclude "and" from the search but still highlight if it does appear. It would be confusing if it did otherwise.

Comment

skipped words Highlighed

I think this makes some sense. As the user did in fact search for the word after all. If the search terms was "johnston and johnston", then it makes sense to exclude "and" from the search but still highlight if it does appear. It would be confusing if it did otherwise.
      I would respectfully disagree. It may be true than in an EXACT Phrase as your example shows, it would be nice to highlight, but the way it is now. The 'skipped' words show for all cases. SO you see the word and highlighted everywhere.

On the very first trial this is what my test people said:
      It says ..."skip word list and have been omitted from your search: "and" "
      THEN it highlights them...

ok just a minor issue. but...
      thanks

Comment

You could just remove the words from the skip list if the main issue was an apparent contradiction in the wording.

While technically it might be possible to change this highlight behaviour is isn't a simple change. At the moment the highlight code doesn't know anything about what words are in the skip list.

Comment

Working...
        X