Search goes to the ASP page of text and coding not results p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search goes to the ASP page of text and coding not results p

Up front first of all I'm not a programmer. I was looking for a search page to do on my website. The download of the Zoom Search Engine went well. Installation went with out a hitch. Ran the wizard, it created 10 index pages. I then up-loaded the files using WS FTP. I then went into the coding and change from "Search.php" it to "Search.asp". When I execute the search it goes to the ASP page of text and coding. I do not understand how to get it to go to a result page. What am I missing? FAQ's are great but I cannot seem to find the answer.

Coding Challenged
    Regards,

Bill

If you upload the files with 3rd party FTP software make sure you upload in BINARY mode and not ASCII mode. A lot of people make this mistake.

Am I correct in understanding that you renamed the search.php file to be called search.asp??? Why on earth would you do that? That will never work. Unless you have a good understanding of what PHP and ASP are, you shouldn't be renaming (or editing) these files in any way.

No coding is required do use the software.

You need to check with your hosting company / server, what scripting languages are supported. (e.g. PHP or ASP) and then select the matching option in Zoom.

----
    David

Comment

Results going to ASP text and coding page

Coding behind the search_template.html page.

I changed the reference file in the coding from search.php to search.asp. I did not rename the file. My hosting works with .asp files downloaded the ASP from the WrenSoft site.

"This is the search template file (search_template.html) which contains the layout
      to your search page.

Note that you can not access the search function from this page (by default). Instead,
      you should open or link to the search script, which is a file named "search.php",
      "search.asp", or "search.cgi"."
      -->
      Regards,

Bill

Comment

Coding behind the search_template.html page.
        Sorry. I am not sure what you mean by this sentence.

I changed the reference file in the coding...
        I am not sure what coding you are referring to. Nor do I know which file you changed the this 'coding' in.

If your host supports ASP, then you should select the ASP option in Zoom.

Can post the URL to your search function and can you try and be more detailed in your description of the problem. Re-reading your post before sending it may also help you fix up the grammar to the point where I can understand it.

----
        David

Comment

Ok let me try to clarify the process we used through the "Zoom Search Engine" tool that came from your website.

Step 1: We chose Spider Mode for indexing files.
          Step 2: We chose to scan only the Static files.

Are with me....

Then we
          Step 3: We selected the ASP platform.
          Step 4: We created index files in our root directory.

That's it. Then when I run a search from the search_template.html it goes directly to the search.asp page which just displays a bunch of coding. No results page..why?
          Regards,

Bill

Comment

When you refer to the root directory, do you mean the root directory of your local PC or the server? Did you upload all the search files to your server?

An ASP script file needs to be on a server supporting ASP before it will run. Does your host support ASP? If you try and run an ASP file on a server that doesn't support ASP, you'll just see the ASP source code (rather than the result of the code being executed). This sounds like what you are seeing. Do you have any other ASP scripts running on the server?

Can post the URL to your search function? So we can see the problem.

You don't run a search from the template file. There is nothing in the template file to 'run'. You run the script file.

I still don't know why you were referring to the search.php file in your earlier post if you are using ASP?

[UPDATE]: For other readers. Later on it was confirm by the hosting company that ASP was never suppoted.

-----
            David

Comment

Working...
            X