PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to Spider - directory browsing problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Spider - directory browsing problem?

Hello,

I'm a new user of ZOOM's professional edition. I want to spider a part of my site, just anything inside of the /archives/ directory. However, when I want to point the spider to this directory, it can't run. When I point it directly to a page inside that site, like /archives/forumminutes.html, then it can. I assume this is a directory browing security problem? The archives part of the site is not off-limits to anonymous users, but the site does not allow directory browsing. I do see a forbidden comment in both ZOOMs log and my website's log. Is there a way around this? Or do I have to create a basic behind-the-scenes webpage that lists every file inside the directory, so the spider can see them all?

Thank you!
    Cassie

If you have turned off directory listings on your server then Zoom (and normal web surfers) will not be able to see the list of files in the directory, and can't guess at the files of the unlisted files.

If the files are all plain HTML files or document files, you might want to consider using offline mode instead of spider mode.

There are PHP and ASP scripts available that can also solve this problem. Search the web for "directory listing scripts"

See also this previous post.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=937

------
    David

Comment

Working...
    X