Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexed shtml pages with titles indexed as having none

Hello,

I've just started to get to know the Zoom search engine, and it seems like a good fit for our needs- we'll probably upgrade to the professional edition and go live with it. Only one bug that I haven't been able to find a way around, and I think I know what the problem is. I recently applied personalized titles to each of our many sub-shtml pages to distinguish them more clearly. So for example, instead of every page being titled "Synapse Energy", I changed the title tag on each respective page to "Synapse Expertise", "Synapse Publications", etc.

This title appears in the top of the web browser window as one would expect with this change, but when I index the pages with Zoom, the search results return as "No title". Because many of these sub-pages have common header elements, we have a basic SSI for the general header information. Since each page has a separate title now, the title tag appears below the header elements of <head>, etc. I think having the title tag lower in the document prevents Zoom from finding it (as when I move it back into the header SSI, Zoom indexes the title just fine).

Here is our script as we have it set up:

http://www.synapse-energy.com/cgi-bi...&submit=Search

So, is there any way to get Zoom to recognize titles if they appear below the header of a page?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

The HTML standard says,

-=-=-=-
    Every HTML document must have a TITLE element in the HEAD section.

Authors should use the TITLE element to identify the contents of a document. Since users often consult documents out of context, authors should provide context-rich titles. Thus, instead of a title such as "Introduction", which doesn't provide much contextual background, authors should supply a title such as "Introduction to Medieval Bee-Keeping" instead.
    -=-=-=-

So this is why Zoom doesn't recognise a title tag in the body of a document.

-----
    David

Comment

Working...
    X