PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cannot access the page I want to index from the server...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot access the page I want to index from the server...

My server doens't allow me to access a page hosted from that server. Therefore, when I type in the url of the site I want to spider it never reaches the site. I could install zoom on another machine, index the site and then place the index on the server; however, I need don't want to have to index the site every time a new document is added (and this is an extremely large site). Any ideas?

I am running the professional version, btw.

> My server doens't allow me to access
    > a page hosted from that server

Maybe I have misunderstood something. You have a server that doesn't serve pages. Can it really be called a server, if it doesn't serve?

> when I type in the url of the site I
    > want to spider it never reaches the site

Is it a networking problem? Or maybe a firewall issue?

> however, I need don't want to have to
    > index the site every time a new document
    > is added

You could schedule indexing once per week, maybe on the week-end. See also this discussion of incremential indexing.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299

------
    David

Comment

Let me clear it up a little

The server hosts the web page to the outer world. I cannot (from that server) hit myself so to say. Of course I can view it on localhost, but if I indexed it from localhost the extensions for the index would be incorrect for everyone else.

In short, I cannot (from the server) type in my url and hit myself. Let me know if there is anyway to get around this. Thanks David.

Comment

Option1:
        If you don't have dymanic web pages on your site you could use offline mode and index files directly from the hard disk of the server. (this is faster than indexing via HTTP/TCP/IP as well).

Option2:
        After indexing, you do a search and replace on the URLs in the zoom_pages.zdat file.

Option3:
        You work out you networking issues so that you can access your site from your server (via the normal URL).

Option4:
        You index from a remote machine & upload the index files. If possible avoid using the internet and just use your LAN, it will result in quicker indexing.

------
        David

Comment

Thanks for the advice. My firewall is what is keeping me from accessing the page from the URL, but I think the idea of indexing on localhost and doing a search and replace will work just fine. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X