PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to tell Zoom not to index certain web pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to tell Zoom not to index certain web pages?

Is there a way to tell Zoom not to index certain web pages?

Will it work if we insert:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

in the <HEAD> of our web page?
    Thanks.

Just add the page to the skip list. (In the Zoom configuration window).

The robots tag is not used at the moment.

---
    David

Comment

Just like to say that it would be great if it *did* honor the noindex meta tag. That would allow us to make the index option part of our CMS, rather than having to modify the search tool.

We actually have a need to NOT index certain pages of our site. (It's a long story, but needless to say it'd be a great feature for us...)

Comment

Yes, we understand the requirement and will be adding some sort of Meta Robot support in V5 of the software.

Skipping pages based on the URL is MUCH more efficient however. It avoids downloading the page and can dramatically speed up indexing compare to skipping a page based on meta data. (Remember that meta data can not be examined until after the page is downloaded).

-----
        David

Comment

Oh, I completely understand the speed issue. The issue is that we allow people to publish their own pages, and every time they publish a page that they don't want indexed, I don't want them to have to bug me about it ;o)

Great to see it on the to-do list!

Comment

If it is your own CMS, or you have control over it, you could insert an extra parameter in the URL to differentiate the pages, for example
            &index=No
            OR
            &index=Yes

---
            David

Comment

Working...
            X