Log Files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Files?

I still having problems with my log files.
    My Zoom files are in a directory on my site with the url
    www.thecapitalpartnership.co.uk/Netobjects/Zoom
    I have run the configuration and set the log files to ./logs/searchwords.log
    I have set the permissions on the logs folder at 777
    BUT the file is still not being created and at the end of each search I get this error message

"Unable to write to log file (./Zoom/logs/searchwords.log). Check that you have specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings and that you have the required file permissions set."

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Tony

Logging can be tricky to get working.

To get it working requires a reasonable knowledge of the file system, controlling file permissions and server software settings. Each server tends to have different software & settings and so it is hard to give a precise set of instructions.

Many users also don't know the difference between a URL & a file path, others don't know if they are hosting on Unix or Windows. Further complicating the matter of getting the file permissions set correctly.

So if you are a novice web developer the easiest solution is just to leave logging turned off.

If you want to get it working, we have a page that details hints and tips on various server platforms here,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

------
    David

Comment

Log files

Thanks David.
      I followed the Help file that you quoted and I thought I'd got everything right. As you will see from my first post I've changed the permissions of the directory Zoom and my directory structure almost follows the example in the Help. I'm with 1and1 on a Unix server. I just can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

I just did a search on your site,
        http://www.thecapitalpartnership.co....oom_query=test

I didn't see any error messages. I assume you have now resolved the problem?

------
        David

Comment

Log Files

Sorry David I'm still getting the message. if you go to www.thecapitalpartnership.co.uk/Netobjects
          and enter say "data" in the search box then hit the Serach button, you should get 8 instances and at the very bottom is the error message in large black type. The message says

Unable to write to log file (./Zoom/logs/searchwords.log). Check that you have specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings and that you have the required file permissions set.

Comment

But this is a different URL from what you originally told me!

In your first post your said the search function was here,
            https://www.thecapitalpartnership.co...oom/search.php

But the error actually comes from a search function here,
            http://www.thecapitalpartnership.co.uk/Zoom/search.php

But lets ignore this and look at the error.
            Unable to write to log file (./Zoom/logs/searchwords.log)

The dot (.) means the current directory. So the full path that you are requesting the log file be written to is,
            http://www.thecapitalpartnership.co....earchwords.log
            and I am guessing that this directory doesn't exists on your server?

But this also contradictes your initial claim that you are using a path of,
            ./logs/searchwords.log
            I am further guessing you were confused about this as well?

====
            David

Comment

Log Files?

Sorry David I am confused!
              The second url I gave you was another version of the website I had created to do some more testing and origionally I had logging switched on. With this second site I've taken your advice and swithced logging off somewhat reluctantly because I think it would be "a nice to have"

I think that I'm slightly confused on where Zoom creates the files. I'm using NetObjetcts Fusion V9 to build my site . It seems that Zoom (or NOF9?) buts the php file in the main cgi-bin. Should all the Zoom files be there? If not where is the best place to put them and how would I then refer to them in the html? It seems I have little control over how the html is created in NOF (I've always used an html editor in the past and built the sites the hard way!) Is there anywhere on the Wrensoft site that explains all of this?
              Thanks for your patience, I would just like to understand what goes on so I can perhaps edit the html accordingly.
              Cheers
              Tony

Comment

swithced logging off somewhat reluctantly because I think it would be "a nice to have"
                Maybe one you sort out the rest of the confusion, you have anther go.

I think that I'm slightly confused on where Zoom creates the files.
                The Zoom indexer will always write it files to the "output directory". If you then FTP these files to the your server, you would normally be in control of the location.

It seems that Zoom (or NOF9?) buts the php file in the main cgi-bin
                There is no need to have PHP files in the cgi-bin directory on most servers. The cgi-bin directory is for CGIs.

But all the Zoom search files need to be in the same directory.

I don't really understand your comment in fact. None of the URLs you have given above refer to cgi-bin but now you are saying that the search function is in cgi-bin?

It seems I have little control over how the html is created in NOF
                In our (limited) experience in user NetObjects Fusion we found it to be a total pain the arse. More of a hindrance than a help. But that might be because we are not very experienced in its use. We use Dreamweaver and are pretty happy with it.

In any case there is some information here about using Zoom with NOF,
                http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/netobjects.html

------
                David

Comment

Log Files?

Thanks David I've had a look at the tutorial you mentioend and it seems like I should be able to follow that. I have just started using NOF in the past I've used Acehtml and built sites from scratch but thought I'd try a wysiwyg software to see if it imprived my output. However like you said it can be a "PITA" particularly when it comes to adding bespoke html. Anyay I'll try that tutorial.
                  Thank you for sticking with me on this. At 61 my old brain cells don't work like they use to everything seems to slow down when you get beyond 60! So dogged patience is appreciated. being self taught also has a certain number of disadvatages as "I don't know what I don't know"
                  Thanks again
                  Tony

Comment

Log Files?

David, just thought I should mention I have Zoom working perfectly now on my test site
                    www.thecapitalpartnership.co.uk/netobjects3
                    Thanks for sticking with me great asset to my site.
                    Thanks again
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X