Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Searching

Hello,

I have a website for a local newspaper where I'm trying to search for multiple things at once. For example:

The file names all start with a date: YYYY-MM-DD, and than a filename.

So an example file would look like "2005-11-07-cougars.php"

Now, what we're trying to do is search for articles written in a specific month by a specific author, which is not in the meta tags, and is instead just in the body of the page itself.

How would we combine two specific search terms? I've tried a few different combinations of quoted dates, names, and wild cards with no luck as of yet.

Thank you for the help.

-Nick

I assume you are indexing file names (from the Zoom configuration window).

You could try searching for

YYYY-MM* AuthorName

----
    David

Comment

That didn't work. I get results from other months as well.

The only way to limit the results I've found is to put the date with the wildcard in quotes.

The main problem comes in when I try to also force it to only show results from the specific author.

Comment

I don't see any great solution to this problem.

If the authors name was "Smith", and other articles also mention the same word, where Smith was not the author, then Zoom isn't going to know the difference.

It can't determine that a particular mention of "Smith" refers to the author while another refers to the subject of the article.

---
        David

Comment

I understand that, and is a risk I'm willing to take.

Fortunately each article has a "byline" as well. So usually it will say "By John Doe" or "By Doe". The cases beyond that are unique and not a grave concern of mine.

However, it's pulling results that don't have any of the applicable search terms. For instance, files outside of the date, and not including the authors name at all.

Comment

If the search results appear to be wrong can you post
            - the URL to the search function
            - the search words used
            - the URL of the page that is in the results but shouldn't be.

---
            David

Comment

Working...
            X