No announcement yet.

1 search = 1 search plus 2 from Google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 search = 1 search plus 2 from Google?

Hi, when somebody does a search it is followed up my 2 from an IP address allocated to Google.

2005-12-10, 14:35:45, 81.156.173.244, "kent", Matches = 1, OR, PerPage = 10, PageNum = 0, No cats, Time = 0.047
    2005-12-10, 14:35:46, 66.249.66.98, "kent", Matches = 1, OR, PerPage = 10, PageNum = 0, No cats, Time = 0.047
    2005-12-10, 14:35:48, 66.249.66.98, "kent", Matches = 1, OR, PerPage = 10, PageNum = 0, No cats, Time = 0.047

This happens for every search.

Any ideas?

Don't really know what this might be. Maybe the person doing the search has some Google utility installed that gets a copy of each page viewed.

If you could post the URLs of your search function and log file we could take a closer look.

----
    David

Comment

Search page here

Log file here

Note : log file was emptied over the weekend but I have just put in 6 test entries from 6 different PC's in 6 different IP blocks.

None of the browsers I use have Google Toolbar or similar installed. One machine I used was a brand new build and this was the first page the browser had ever used.

Also a mix of FF and IE used.

Comment

Must remember to log in before posting

Comment

I notice that you have wrapped our ASP script in your own ASP script.
          search-wedding-chaos.asp

I don't know what your script is doing, but I believe it is responsible for the problem. Maybe it is the Google Adsense adds that appear on your page. Google might be executing the page a 2nd (and 3rd time) in order to work out which adds are related to the page content.

If I do a direct query using our script,
          http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/search..._query=flowers
          then I don't see the duplicated log entries.

--------
          David

Comment

Hi David, you are correct. Removing the google adsense removes the duplicates.

How odd!

Thanks

Comment

Is there a version of search.asp that uses POST instead of GET?

Adsense is seing the URL as 'new' because of the parameters in the search string and as a result the adsense code is 'requesting' the URL for each Adsense block. This 'request' for the URL then gets logged as a new search.

Comment

No. We don't use POST.

Years ago, we did use POST. But there were several technical & usability problems with POST. For example the NEXT and PREVIOUS search results page links wouldn't work with POST.

Even Google themselves use GET for doing a search on Google.

But if you want to use Adsense, then you surely want Adsense to request the page for each URL. If the user searches for different words in Zoom, then the Adsense adds will be customised to match the words on the page. This is how Adsense works. It grabs a copy of the page then attempts to work about relevent advertising for the page.

It doesn't make sense to use Adsense but stop it presenting dymanic adds.

Of course it puts extra load on your server, but this is price you paid for using Adsense.

------
                David

Comment

Hi David,
                  What else do you know about adsense. I was just looking at it this afternoon and tryng to decide if it was worth it just from a traffic point of view.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X