Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skip word list

Hey guys,

i am new to zoom engine. i use zoom engine to index a fairly big website which has over 3000 files, all doc, pdf, xls. the index data i have is pretty big around 6MB. because my server does not support any server side script, i have to use javascript option.

i am thinking to add more common words into the skip list so that i can reduce the size of index file. the question is that i can not determine the most common unnecessary words. could you please give me some information where i can find a list of most unnecessary words used in search? thanks a lot!

runping

Don't even bother. You would be wasting a lot of time for little benefit and a lot of frustration. JavaScript is not a powerful enough language to handle large amounts of data. And the search speed would be poor.

If you have a site that big you are crazy to be using a hosting company that doesn't allow any server side scripting.

Change hosts to a hosting company that supports, ASP, PHP or CGI.

-----
    David

Comment

thanks, but the server our company uses is a J2EE server, we have JSP avaiable, do you forsee that this tool will be able to support JSP in future?
      thanks

runping

Comment

A server that allows JSP but not ASP, PHP or CGI is very rare. So we don't plan on supporting JSP, unless it becomes a popular choice for developers and hosting companies. (Which it isn't at the moment).

Maybe you could write a JSP wrapper around the CGI. This what we did for C# / ASP.NET.
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/aspdotnet.html

Another, more difficult, alternative might be for you to re-write our PHP code in Java.

(For other readers, Javascript is NOT the same as Java. Zoom supports Javascript but not Java).

----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X