Unexpected Search Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Search Results

I'm a new user and am having problems getting the search to find everything it should on my website. I have multiple folders set up for various topics. I've indexed the entire site and did not exclude (skip) anything other than the default short words list. I manually move the files to the appropriate directory after indexing. Yet when I run a search on my site it doesn't find topics that I know are included on the site. Any ideas as to why the search isn't working? Are there settings that I'm not selecting that I should or vice versa? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

To start with check these FAQ questions.
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...s.html#skipped
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...spider_finding

---------
    David

Comment

I've already tried the suggestions in the FAQ. It still doesn't seem to work correctly. The software looks like it indexes the entire site but when I run a search it only returns results fromt the first first sub-folder and it doesn't even pick up everything in that folder. I thought maybe it was because I had originally installed the free version then upgraded to the professional version but checking the Reload all files checkbox on the General tab of the Configuration dialog box didn't seem to help either.

Comment

There is not enough details in your post to guess at the problem. It would have helped if you had included the URL to your search function, infomation from the Zoom indexer about how many files were indexed and information what settings you are using in Zoom (e.g. spider mode or offline mode).

It probably wouldn't hurt to re-read the FAQ questions as well. 99% of all file skipping issues are covered in those two questions.

If you still have a problem, can you E-Mail us,
        1) Your Zoom configuration file
        2) Your log file from your indexing sessions (save it from the file menu)

-----
        David

Comment

David,

I tried sending an e-mail with the files you requested to Wrensoft but got the following message:

<<< 450 <zoom [at] wrensoft.com>: Recipient address rejected: Service temporarily unavailable <zoom [at] wrensoft.com>... Deferred: 450 <zoom [at] wrensoft.com>: Recipient address rejected: Service temporarily unavailable <<< 554 Error: no valid recipients
          Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours Will keep trying until message is 4 days old

Is this an incorrect e-mail address? Is there another address I should use?

Thanks
          Genice

Comment

The above error is due to Greylisting and misconfiguration on the sending server.

But I got the E-Mail. I'll have a look at it today.

---
            David

Comment

I could see nothing wrong with the configuration file you are usng nor the log file from the indexing session.

However I had a look in the directory that you are using on your web server to hold the search related files.
              http://www.iupui.edu/~seshelp/newsite/search/
              and saw this,

zoom_index.js 20-Oct-2005 14:44 29k
              zoom_pages.js 20-Oct-2005 14:44 3k
              zoom_titles.js 20-Oct-2005 14:44 2k

Then I had a look at the log file from your indexing session,

09:11:36 - Start indexing (offline mode) at Mon Oct 24 09:11:36 2005
              09:12:04 - [FILEIO] Created pages data file (zoom_pages.zdat)
              09:12:04 - [FILEIO] Created titles data file (zoom_titles.zdat)

So the problem is now obvious

You selected the Javascript search option when using the free version of the software (which created the .js files on the 20/Oct). The Javascript search is still running on your web site today. Here,
              http://www.iupui.edu/~seshelp/newsit...ch/search.html
              It works fine but you only see a small number of pages becuase you only indexed a small number of pages.

You then swapped to use the PHP option with the Pro version of the software. This all worked fine and indexed many more pages (362 in fact) , but you never linked to the PHP search function. Instead you are still linking to the old set of Javascript files.

So in summary you are searching an old set of index files.

In theory, you can access the new set via the PHP script.
              http://www.iupui.edu/~seshelp/newsite/search/search.php
              But I suspect the PHP scripting language is not installed on your server?? but this is another issue

-----
              David

Comment

Working...
              X