No log file but no error either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No log file but no error either

I am having a problem getting logging working even after reading all the manuals and FAQs.

Details:-

I am using PHP version and files are stored in "zoom/" (relative to the URL root). Logging is switched on and the log file set to "./logs/searchfiles.log" i.e. I should find the log in "zoom/logs/searchfiles.log"

I have set the permission on the logs directory to 777 (as a first stab). The directory is empty.

No log seems to be created nor are any error messages generated, I would have expected one or the other.

I have verified that the logging mechanism is switched on and working by putting a patch in search.php to write the log line to the HTML as a comment and when viewing the source after a search then this seems to be fine. It is as if the true log is going to /dev/null

I have tried creating an empty searchfiles.log with 777 protection in case it needed a seed file but no avail.

Is there something I am missing here?
    Cheers,

Rick Parsons, Bristol, England

You do not need to create an empty file. If the directory and permissions are correct the script will create the file.

You should see a log file or an error message.

The most likely explanations are,

1) You have turned on logging in the Zoom configuration window but have not yet re-indexed your site and re-uploaded the files. This would explain the lack of error message (logging is not turned on, on the server yet).

2) You have broken the script with your own editing. You'd be surprise how many people do this.

3) The log is being written, but to a different location, that you don't expect.

If you can post the URL to your site we can eliminate some possibilities.

------
    David

Comment

Thanks

1) I have re-indexed so that is ok

2) That is always possible

3) That too is possible

The URL is http://west-penwith.org.uk/zoom/search.php

If you run a search ("wicker" returns just one result) then view source you will see at the end of the results where I have written the log line out as a comment.

<!-- 2005-09-29, 09:20:18, 192.85.50.2, "wicker", Matches = 1, AND, PerPage = 10, PageNum = 0, "Cat = All", Time = 2.654
      -->

So that is working fine and proved that logging is enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Cheers,

Comment

So that is working fine and proved that logging is enabled.
        Well it proves that you have modified our script to output a HTML comment. I don't think it proves anything more than this. (remember we can't see your source code).

You claim to have created a dummy file called searchfiles.log in the logs directory.

But when I try this URL in Internet Explorer
        http://west-penwith.org.uk/zoom/logs/searchfiles.log
        I get a 404 File not found error.

However when I try the default file name I get a log file (as expected)
        http://west-penwith.org.uk/zoom/logs/searchwords.log

So I am guessing the answer is 3). The log is being written, but to a different location, that you don't expect (the default location).

---------
        David

Comment

Well you are absolutely right of course. I could have sworn it was serarchfiles

I can take my patch out now.

Wonderfull product btw.
          Cheers,

Comment

Working...
          X