"Out of memory" error using javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Out of memory" error using javascript

I am using the Javascript output for the search engine and it has an "Out of memory" error when users try to load the script. I know there is a limitation through the parser, but is there any way around this? (I cannot currently use server side scripting because its an intranet..)

The index file is 6.84 MB

The fact that you are on an Intranet does not prevent you from using server side scripting. In fact it can make it easier becuase you have full control over your web server and don't depend on some 3rd party hosting company.

I assume you do actually have a web server running (IIS or Apache). If you don't, then you don't really have an Intranet.

So our advice would be to switch to server side ASP, PHP or CGI.

Javascript running in Internet Explorer has severe limitations about how much RAM is can allocate. And you will have hit that limit. We don't know of any way around it. Other browsers might have a higher limit than IE however. Other fallback option might be to have a look at the CGIFrontEnd. It doesn't require a web server and also doesn't use Javascript. It is normally used for searching CD's but will owkr on a hard disk and across a LAN. See,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/cgifrontend.html

------
    David

Comment

Working...
    X