Raw File Indexing and Searching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw File Indexing and Searching

I am using zoom Search to index a number of files and folders that are stored on servers in my company. These files are not published on a website or webpage but are accessible internally via shared areas. I want to eventually put a search page onto the companies’ intranet in order to search files that are accessible to the whole company internally. None of the files are WebPages they are all documents, .pdfs .xls files etc. I understand that zoom search uses Meta data to index and refine its searches.

Once the files I wish to be indexed were indexed I tried out the search page and had the problem of the searches not being very specific. For example I searched for a document called “Licenses” and the result I wanted was on page 10. I think this is due to the fact the files I am indexing are not published on a webpage therefore they have no Meta data / tags?
    Is there any way I can make the searches more refined so if I search for Licenses again the first results will be “Licenses.doc”?

Thanks

See this FAQ.
    Q. How do I make some pages appear higher up in my search results? How does Zoom's page score system work?

In this specfic case that you mentioned giving a +5 boost to the file name, making sure you index files names, and making sure the period (dot) character breaks a word would help.

But it is hard for us to comment on the ranking of the search results when we don't have access to the documents. Clearly you have some other documents that talk about "Licenses".

Note also that Word documents, PDF files, etc.. all have meta data inside of them. But these may or may not be set correctly depending on the document author.

Comment

Working...
    X