No announcement yet.

Is there a cumulative indexing option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a cumulative indexing option?

I have a website that will have new content added daily (a paper's website). So each day the index file will need to be updated. The site is still in it's early stages, so doing a complete index each day is not a problem. However each day roughly 40 pages are added to the site. So soon it will get insanely large!

I don't want to have the index run completely every time. Even though i have it scheduled to run at some odd hour, like 3am, every day. Is there a way to make the search cumulative? So it won't continually index the older pages, and will only add the newest pages?

If not - oh well. But I'd still like to know

Thank you!

In the current version of the software (V4.0), no, this is not an option.

As you pointed out, scheduling Zoom to run during the night is a good option.

You might find it is not as bad as you think becasue Zoom using caching like Internet Explorer and old files that have not been updated will not be downloaded again (if they are cached).

But from your description of your site, I get the impression that you will be using some type of content management system or scripting to support the delivery of pages. In this case I don't think any external search engine can do incremental indexing. If a page is generated by a script or CMS, then there is no page creation date. (the page gets recreated each time it is downloaded).

If there is no page or file creation date, how can a search engine know if a page is new or old?

By contrast, with plain HTML pages, they have a file creation date and this is not an issue.

------
    David

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer!

And actually, no CMS is in use currently, just a small development team creating static HTML pages. Though one of the next phases of the project will include a CMS.

I don't think i'll have much to worry about anyways, i was just wondering / looking out for the future.

Thanks again.

-Nick

Comment

Working...
      X