Skipping index.html files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping index.html files

I have a very old recipe site (begun in 94) with thousands of pages. Many of the older pages are organized in date based directories, with the index.html file acting like an archive list of the files contained in that directory. Each content page includes a link to that archive page so a user can navigate via the list if they so choose.

ZOOM currently returns the index.html files (the archive list) BEFORE the content files that I want indexed.

Example: if a user searches for Pasta and Fennel, instead of getting the Pasta and Fennel recipes at the top of the returned search list, they get the index.html files in the directory that contains Pasta and Fennel recipes.

Ordinarily, I would simply use the skip option to skip those index.html files but when I do that, ZOOM has no way to "find" the content files since the links to those files are in that index.html file. I can't easily change the filing system since most of these pages are well-indexed in Google, etc.

In fact, Google rarely returns the index.html archive files at all -- they seem to always bring up the meaty content files first.

One thing I've noticed is that a list of files containing the titles (and the titles reflect the keywords people use) often contains the keywords more times than the content article:

Pasta with Fennel and Orange
    Pasta with Fennel and Avocado
    etc.

With a long list like this it seems ZOOM finds many instances of Pasta and Fennel so puts that page at the top of the returned results.

But many of these lists also contain dozens of other recipes that do NOT contain Pasta and Fennel, so the user is confronted with a confusing list rather than immediate content.

You could assign negative weighting to the <HEAD> section of each index.html file like this:

<meta name="ZOOMPAGEBOOST" content="-5">

or -4, or whatever. You'd have to experiment a bit.

Good luck,
    Leon

Comment

Wrapping the text and links on the index.html page in ZOOMSTOP tags is another option.

It may also be that you need better titles, meta keywords and meta descriptions on the content pages in order to lift the score of the content pages.

Comment

Working...
      X