PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird results with wild card searches * and ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird results with wild card searches * and ?

Hi,
    I had recently upgraded our site search to version 5 and had our internal QA team test the results.

One of our testers had simply put these characters after the search terms: * ? and he brought the results to my attention. I understand that a "normal" site user will probably never put such characters in their search query however I was wondering of this is normal as it also happens on Wrensoft website.

Please see this link:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/search.php?z...=1&zoom_sort=0

The display of the "[;:][;:]" characters is a minor bug in the highlighting function when used this this (nonsensical) combination of wild card characters.

* matches all words
    ? matches 1 character

Comment

Hi,
      Is this bug something that will be fixed in the near future? And thank you very much for such a quick reply.

----
      EdnaB

Comment

There is no quick solution (except to turn off highlighting in the search results). It requires a re-write of the hightlighting code for the PHP script when dealing with wildcards. But as the problem doesn't occur in typical use, so it isn't an urgent issue. We'll look at making a solution available as part of V6.

Comment

Working...
        X