PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error: Could not open file zoom_plugin.out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error: Could not open file zoom_plugin.out...

I'm testing the plugins for PDFs and images (in a JavaScript output), and I got a few GIFs indexed OK (Processing followed by Indexing):

Processing image file C:\path\filename.gif
    Indexing C:\path\filename.gif

However, I initially got this for the PDF file:

Processing PDF file C:\path\filename.pdf
    Error: Could not open file C:\path\Application Data\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\zoom_plugin.out

Before posting this thread, I decided to enable an indexlog.txt file, after which I indexed again. Now, the PDF file was properly indexed, but I got this:

Error: Could not open file C:\path\indexlog.txt

However, the indexlog.txt really WAS opened!

Well, as long as the PDF got indexed, I guess I can't complain. But (there's always a but) how could I get the PDF file to open in its own window and not in the browser?

Are you using Vista?
    And was the path really c:\path\... or was it something like, C:\Users\MyAccount\AppData\Local\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\

If the answer is yes to the above questions, then this may be caused by the new Windows Indexing Service that is a part of Vista. This service runs in the background of Vista, and is constantly indexing new files on your hard disk so that you can search for the files quickly from the start bar. This might be block access to some of the files. See also this previous post about Failing to open files in Vista and a possible solution.

If you wish to open the other file types in a new window of their native application (eg. PDF opens in Acrobat Reader, rather than an IE window with the Acrobat plugin), then you should refer to the answer in this previous thread about opening files here.

Comment

No to Vista, but the error situation cleared itself up, apparently (maybe it really, really needed an indexlog.txt file?).

As to the second question, yes, "path" replaced all that directory stuff.

As to opening other files in their native app, I guess the answer is No. Sigh...

Thx,
      Leon

Comment

Working...
      X