CGI Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGI Problem

Hi, our company has recently purchased Zoom and we are very happy with it. I set up a search page using php and it works wonderfully. The one thing I noticed is it was a tad slow. I saw the benchmarks and see that CGI is significantly faster. I contacted our webhost and found that we have cgi support on our webserver. It is a Linux server and the cgi scripts can be run from any directory but /cgi-bin/. I created the correct files with zoom and uploaded them (and set the permissions) the same way I did with php and this is the page I get for search.cgi:

http://www.hammfg.com.previewyoursite.com/search/search.cgi

Do you know why it is doing this? I don't need cgi and if I have to settle for php that is fine but I am curious as to why it will not work.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for a great product,

Kevin

The CGI 'script' can be harder to install than the PHP script.

This is not helped by the fact to most web hosting companies only have a really vague idea about what CGI is. And as a result often have it set up incorrectly on their servers.

All the common problems and solutions are covered in our CGI FAQ

In your case the web server is not attempting to execute the search.cgi file.
    Instead is just returns the script's internal code.

...and the cgi scripts can be run from any directory but /cgi-bin/
    I think you'll find that this is exactly wrong. And CGI's must be in the /cgi-bin/ folder.

Comment

Working...
    X